PS Advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
midwestkid06

New

PS Advice

Postby midwestkid06 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:13 pm

Due to the nature of Personal Statements, I do not want to share the whole thing publicly but would appreciate anyone willing to DM me and give some direction advise. I will put a sample, I'm not shy of harsh criticism if necessary. Overall I discuss my motivations for law school and my experience working in the legislature focus in on how those direct me to apply to said law school.Thanks!

"The U.S. legal system is the right medium to pursue these changes. Our legal system plays a vital role in sustaining the institutions of our society. Our system should also play a vital role in modifying and updating these institutions to reflect the values of our current and future population. Bringing legal challenges against environmental injustices is pivotal in the fight for a sustainable future, and it is refreshing to know Washington University is already involved in the fight.
I grew up in Franklin County, Missouri; where you can see the smoke stacks of Labadie’s coal power plant from the hill on my farm and just about every other point in the county. They cast an ominous shadow, both figurative and literal, over the area. Knowing that the Interdisciplinary Environmental Clinic at Washington University has fought for the rights of clean air and clean water for my family and friends hits very close to my heart. I want to be a part of the IEC and continue its work with the Labadie Environmental Organization as it fights these environmental injustices in and around my home to provide a clean, safe environment for future generations."

RamTitan

Silver

Re: PS Advice

Postby RamTitan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:29 pm

The second paragraph you posted would make for a good conclusion to a personal statement, but I'd avoid talking about the legal system in general. Writing about your background and why you want to practice law is obviously a good direction to go in

P.S. I live right by Franklin County as well

34iplaw

Gold

Re: PS Advice

Postby 34iplaw » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Agree with above poster. Not sure about your semi colon use though. I'll take a look if you want to PM me.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements?