GPA Addendum Rough Copy

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

GPA Addendum Rough Copy

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:57 am

**Please do not quote**

Feel free to tear this one apart and give me your thoughts. Thank you

My 2006-2007 grades do not reflect my academic ability and potential. I was in the early stages of recovery from a Traumatic Brain Injury that I sustained in an automobile accident. During the fall 2006 semester I earned a 2.70 GPA, and in the spring semester of 2007 I earned a 2.67 GPA. During the fall of 2007 semester, I underwent the traumatic experiencing of finding my roommate in my dormitory room after he had committed suicide. In the turbulence following that incident, I earned a 3.07 GPA.

After those three semesters, I earned a 3.54 GPA during the spring of 2008. I then proceeded to make the Dean’s list in three of the remaining semesters, as well as earning a 3.47 GPA during the Fall of 2008 semester. My undergraduate career at Penn State culminated with me earning a 4.0 GPA in my final semester. My GPA during my final two years of college is more representative of my academic potential than the cumulative 3.3 GPA that I graduated with.

**NOTE: For some odd reason, my Spring 2008 GPA did not receive a Dean's List designation, even though it was over 3.5... that's my reasoning behind specifically pointing that semester out. Additionally, my Fall 2008 grades were .03 points from being recognized as Dean's list, which Is why I pointed that semester out

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: GPA Addendum Rough Copy

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:23 am

I'm not sure if it's TMI for an addendum, but my first thought was, "Why didn't they get a medical withdrawal?" I know you want this to be succinct, but you may want to be more specific about how this injury affected your performance. Were you spending too much time in rehab to study? Were you unable to concentrate because of lingering effects? The fact that you did this for a whole year raised a lot more questions for me than a simple improvement in your GPA would have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:50 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm not sure if it's TMI for an addendum, but my first thought was, "Why didn't they get a medical withdrawal?" I know you want this to be succinct, but you may want to be more specific about how this injury affected your performance. Were you spending too much time in rehab to study? Were you unable to concentrate because of lingering effects? The fact that you did this for a whole year raised a lot more questions for me than a simple improvement in your GPA would have.

Honestly, all of the studying was wonderful to aid in my cognitive recovery. MY TBI happened during my junior year in high school.. I was in the hospital for half of that year, and worked year-round to graduate high school on time (though, my HS grades suffered compared to before the TBI). I then went right into college to keep my life moving forward, and it really did aid in my recovery.

A few of my doctors wanted me to take an initial year off during high school, but I made the decision that I didn't want to put my life on hold and wanted to graduate on time.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:04 pm

I think it would be worth (briefly) explaining just that - when the accident happened and why you chose to move forward with your education. I would start with that right away: "My 2006-2007 grades do not reflect my academic ability and potential because during that time I was recovering from a traumatic brain injury received in a car accident in [year]. [Maybe really brief description of effect/extent of injury or rehab you engaged in?]. I chose not to take time off from my education because my school work in the last year of high school and first 2 [?] years of college greatly aided my cognitive recovery. However, my GPA from that period reflects that I continued to struggle with [what the brain injury cause problems with - reading large amounts, processing material, connecting ideas?? whatever might fit here."

Also maybe make clearer where you were when your roommate's death happened. Either "While I had recovered from the TBI by fall 2007, unfortunately during that semester I suffered the traumatic experience of...", or "The last semester of my recovery was complicated by the traumatic experience of...."

I'm also not sure how much you need to specifically parse your subsequent grades, since schools will have your transcripts - I feel like you could summarize a bit more ("By spring 2008 I had recovered fully from the TBI and my roommate's death, and I from that point on my semester grades ranged from 3.47 to 4.00. These final two years of my undergraduate career more accurately represent my academic potential, unhindered by my TBI, than my cumulative GPA.")

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think it would be worth (briefly) explaining just that - when the accident happened and why you chose to move forward with your education. I would start with that right away: "My 2006-2007 grades do not reflect my academic ability and potential because during that time I was recovering from a traumatic brain injury received in a car accident in [year]. [Maybe really brief description of effect/extent of injury or rehab you engaged in?]. I chose not to take time off from my education because my school work in the last year of high school and first 2 [?] years of college greatly aided my cognitive recovery. However, my GPA from that period reflects that I continued to struggle with [what the brain injury cause problems with - reading large amounts, processing material, connecting ideas?? whatever might fit here."

Also maybe make clearer where you were when your roommate's death happened. Either "While I had recovered from the TBI by fall 2007, unfortunately during that semester I suffered the traumatic experience of...", or "The last semester of my recovery was complicated by the traumatic experience of...."

I'm also not sure how much you need to specifically parse your subsequent grades, since schools will have your transcripts - I feel like you could summarize a bit more ("By spring 2008 I had recovered fully from the TBI and my roommate's death, and I from that point on my semester grades ranged from 3.47 to 4.00. These final two years of my undergraduate career more accurately represent my academic potential, unhindered by my TBI, than my cumulative GPA.")

Thank you for this. Although, I have to be a bit careful in what I say, b/c you do not simply recover from a TBI and/or be fully unhindered by its affects. The brain is not like a bone, in the respect that it breaks, is stuck in a cast, and heals back over. When the brain is damaged and dendrites are damaged, those specific cells and dendrites never heal over -- rather, the brain rewires itself around the affected areas and adapts to the best of its ability. The brain is amazing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Here is my updated version. What do you think?

My 2006-2007 grades do not reflect my academic ability and potential because during that time I was recovering from a traumatic brain injury received in a car accident on November 7, 2004. I suffered 3 brain hemorrhages and partook in occupational, speech, and physical therapy throughout the year of 2005. I then continued physical therapy at an outpatient facility up until the summer of 2008.

I chose not to take time off from my education because my school work in the last 1.5 years of high school and first year of college greatly aided my cognitive recovery. However, my GPA from that period reflects that I continued to struggle with reading large amounts, processing material, and focus/concentration. While my recovery was progressing into the Fall of 2007, unfortunately during that semester I underwent the traumatic experience of finding my roommate in my dormitory room immediately after he had committed suicide.

After those three semesters, I earned a 3.54 GPA during the spring of 2008. I then proceeded to make the Dean’s list in three of the remaining semesters, as well as earning a 3.47 GPA during the Fall of 2008 semester. My undergraduate career at Penn State culminated with me earning a 4.0 GPA in my final semester. My GPA during my final 2.5 years of my undergraduate career more accurately represents my academic potential than my cumulative GPA does.

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements?