C&F Rough Draft and Questions

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 pm

**Please do not quote**

Below is a rough draft of my C&F addendum, please let me know your thoughts. Also, do you think any of this will have any impact on being accepted/scholly $$? Second - I really do not know whether I was put on disciplinary action by my university after my underage's, but I wanted to error on the side of caution... is that a good decision? For admissions, do you think it matters at all whether I was or wasn't on temporary disciplinary probation 10 years ago??

Thanks!

Addendum:

In 2006 I was cited for underage drinking (a summary offense) while enrolled at [BLANK] University. I paid a fine and successfully completed a youthful offender’s program, which expunged my record. In 2007 I received a second citation for underage drinking, while attending an off-campus party at [The Same School]. Both incidences incurred a temporary loss of my driving privileges within the state of [BLANK], as well as a temporary disciplinary probation period at [X School].

I received a misdemeanor in 2010 for furnishing alcohol to a minor when I purchased alcohol for my 20 year-old roommate. I paid a $1000 fine, completed one day of mandatory community service, and successfully fulfilled a temporary probation period in order to expunge my record. I have since reflected on this lapse of judgment, matured, and have steered clear of any further legal trouble.

User avatar
bretby

Bronze
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby bretby » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:07 pm

The last sentence may be a bit cursory as this wasn't a one-time deal but a pattern of alcohol-related offenses over a four year period.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:12 pm

bretby wrote:The last sentence may be a bit cursory as this wasn't a one-time deal but a pattern of alcohol-related offenses over a four year period.

Indeed, but the misdemeanor is really what woke me up. Since then (over 6 years ago), I have grown up in my actions and judgments.

Do you think I should not say that final sentence and just leave it up to interpretation?

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:27 am

You shouldn't call it a lapse because it wasn't a single incident. I'd reframe the last sentence to be more about growing up out of that phase of your life in general.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:You shouldn't call it a lapse because it wasn't a single incident. I'd reframe the last sentence to be more about growing up out of that phase of your life in general.

Thank you. How about this:

In 2006 I was cited for underage drinking (a summary offense) while enrolled at [BLANK] University. I paid a fine and successfully completed a youthful offender’s program, which expunged my record. In 2007 I received a second citation for underage drinking, while attending an off-campus party at [The Same School]. Both incidences incurred a temporary loss of my driving privileges within the state of [BLANK], as well as a temporary disciplinary probation period at [X School].

I received a misdemeanor in 2010 for furnishing alcohol to a minor when I purchased alcohol for my 20 year-old roommate. I paid a $1000 fine, completed one day of mandatory community service, and successfully fulfilled a temporary disciplinary probation period in order to have my record expunged. I have since grown up and have moved on from this phase of my life, which can be demonstrated by my volunteer efforts, professional accomplishments, and clean record over the past 6-plus years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 am

Duplicate Message

LikelyThrowaway

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:You shouldn't call it a lapse because it wasn't a single incident. I'd reframe the last sentence to be more about growing up out of that phase of your life in general.

Thank you. How about this:

In 2006 I was cited for underage drinking (a summary offense) while enrolled at [BLANK] University. I paid a fine and successfully completed a youthful offender’s program, which expunged my record. In 2007 I received a second citation for underage drinking, while attending an off-campus party at [The Same School]. Both incidences incurred a temporary loss of my driving privileges within the state of [BLANK], as well as a temporary disciplinary probation period at [X School].

I received a misdemeanor in 2010 for furnishing alcohol to a minor when I purchased alcohol for my 20 year-old roommate. I paid a $1000 fine, completed one day of mandatory community service, and successfully fulfilled a temporary disciplinary probation period in order to have my record expunged. I have since grown up and have moved on from this phase of my life, which can be demonstrated by my volunteer efforts, professional accomplishments, and clean record over the past 6-plus years.


Better, but in my opinion that last sentence should stick to facts, rather than make a pitch. So maybe just say, "I have since grown up and moved on from that phase of my life, having maintained a clean record for the past six years."

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby floatie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:35 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:You shouldn't call it a lapse because it wasn't a single incident. I'd reframe the last sentence to be more about growing up out of that phase of your life in general.

Thank you. How about this:

In 2006 I was cited for underage drinking (a summary offense) while enrolled at [BLANK] University. I paid a fine and successfully completed a youthful offender’s program, which expunged my record. In 2007 I received a second citation for underage drinking, while attending an off-campus party at [The Same School]. Both incidences incurred a temporary loss of my driving privileges within the state of [BLANK], as well as a temporary disciplinary probation period at [X School].

I received a misdemeanor in 2010 for furnishing alcohol to a minor when I purchased alcohol for my 20 year-old roommate. I paid a $1000 fine, completed one day of mandatory community service, and successfully fulfilled a temporary disciplinary probation period in order to have my record expunged. I have since grown up and have moved on from this phase of my life, which can be demonstrated by my volunteer efforts, professional accomplishments, and clean record over the past 6-plus years.


Better, but in my opinion that last sentence should stick to facts, rather than make a pitch. So maybe just say, "I have since grown up and moved on from that phase of my life, having maintained a clean record for the past six years."


Agree with the last sentence suggested here. The rest of your application can demonstrate exactly how you've grown and matured since this incident, but the C&F should just be a factual statement of what happened.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks, how about this:

In 2006 I was cited for underage drinking (a summary offense) while enrolled at [BLANK] University. I paid a fine and successfully completed a youthful offender’s program, which expunged my record. In 2007 I received a second citation for underage drinking, while attending an off-campus party at [The Same School]. Both incidences incurred a temporary loss of my driving privileges within the state of [BLANK], as well as a temporary disciplinary probation period at [X School].

I received a misdemeanor in 2010 for furnishing alcohol to a minor when I purchased alcohol for my 20 year-old roommate. I paid a $1000 fine, completed one day of mandatory community service, and successfully fulfilled a temporary disciplinary probation period in order to have my record expunged. I have since grown up and have moved on from this phase of my life.

cantyoloforever

Bronze
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby cantyoloforever » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 am

Somewhat related question: if you have two C&F issues that are related (like underage drinking), can they be combined and attached into one document?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Here is a curve ball: I just called my college to request a report of my records, for this c&f disclosure, and they told me that they will not report anything after 3 years past graduation. It has been 6 years since I graduated, meaning all of my records are sealed and they will not report them, even if an outside entity requests.

Now, is there any point in disclosing or not disclosing in this situation?

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5053
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is a curve ball: I just called my college to request a report of my records, for this c&f disclosure, and they told me that they will not report anything after 3 years past graduation. It has been 6 years since I graduated, meaning all of my records are sealed and they will not report them, even if an outside entity requests.

Now, is there any point in disclosing or not disclosing in this situation?


That seems inaccurate. The bar will be requesting these records, and I've never heard of any instance where a college can legally deny them access. Did you specify that this was for law school?

User avatar
dodint

Bronze
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:47 pm

We did a C&F in brief last week and were told the Bar has access to expunged records that typically are not available from most other sources. The main takeaway from our brief was to make sure you said everything on the application C&F and then make sure you report all the same things to the Bar.
They gave us an opportunity to make amendments if we 'forgot' during the application process.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is a curve ball: I just called my college to request a report of my records, for this c&f disclosure, and they told me that they will not report anything after 3 years past graduation. It has been 6 years since I graduated, meaning all of my records are sealed and they will not report them, even if an outside entity requests.

Now, is there any point in disclosing or not disclosing in this situation?


That seems inaccurate. The bar will be requesting these records, and I've never heard of any instance where a college can legally deny them access. Did you specify that this was for law school?

Yes

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5053
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is a curve ball: I just called my college to request a report of my records, for this c&f disclosure, and they told me that they will not report anything after 3 years past graduation. It has been 6 years since I graduated, meaning all of my records are sealed and they will not report them, even if an outside entity requests.

Now, is there any point in disclosing or not disclosing in this situation?


That seems inaccurate. The bar will be requesting these records, and I've never heard of any instance where a college can legally deny them access. Did you specify that this was for law school?

Yes


I have to assume that you can authorize them to release the records then, and you should do that. As mentioned, the bar does allow you to amend your application, but it raises questions about why those records weren't disclosed in the first place. Save yourself the hassle and disclose now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327313
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: C&F Rough Draft and Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is a curve ball: I just called my college to request a report of my records, for this c&f disclosure, and they told me that they will not report anything after 3 years past graduation. It has been 6 years since I graduated, meaning all of my records are sealed and they will not report them, even if an outside entity requests.

Now, is there any point in disclosing or not disclosing in this situation?


That seems inaccurate. The bar will be requesting these records, and I've never heard of any instance where a college can legally deny them access. Did you specify that this was for law school?

Yes


I have to assume that you can authorize them to release the records then, and you should do that. As mentioned, the bar does allow you to amend your application, but it raises questions about why those records weren't disclosed in the first place. Save yourself the hassle and disclose now.

Agreed. I authorized their release and they are getting my record out of the archives to send to me. It'll take about a week.



Return to “Law School Personal Statements?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.