Diversity Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MAPP

Bronze

Diversity Statement

Postby MAPP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:28 am

If I'm a typical white, American male what can I talk about in a diversity statement? Also, Georgetown lists the DS as optional. Should I even worry about completing one for them?

playersball

Bronze

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby playersball » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 am

All diversity statements are optional, but you can talk about socioeconomic status, religion, sexual orientation, adversity- plenty of stuff beyond race. That being said, I would not push one if you don't have anything you can come up with internally. I'm URM and am 99% sure I wont be writing one.

MAPP

Bronze

Postby MAPP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 am

playersball wrote:All diversity statements are optional, but you can talk about socioeconomic status, religion, sexual orientation, adversity- plenty of stuff beyond race. That being said, I would not push one if you don't have anything you can come up with internally. I'm URM and am 99% sure I wont be writing one.

If I tried to write one, it would probably read like some mush essay about how I overcame blablabla. I'll probably not write one and just see which schools have optional "why X school" essays and write one of those instead...

playersball

Bronze

Postby playersball » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:42 am

MAPP wrote:
playersball wrote:All diversity statements are optional, but you can talk about socioeconomic status, religion, sexual orientation, adversity- plenty of stuff beyond race. That being said, I would not push one if you don't have anything you can come up with internally. I'm URM and am 99% sure I wont be writing one.

If I tried to write one, it would probably read like some mush essay about how I overcame blablabla. I'll probably not write one and just see which schools have optional "why X school" essays and write one of those instead...

If what you overcame is significant to your life and you believe will add a different POV to the classroom discussion- then it's totally valid!

I am similar to you and felt like any relevant topic would sound too much like a pity party or be repetitive from my PS. Why X schools are my go to option as well, and some schools like Michigan have even more topics to pick from. Good luck!

MAPP

Bronze

Postby MAPP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:07 pm

playersball wrote:
MAPP wrote:

If what you overcame is significant to your life and you believe will add a different POV to the classroom discussion- then it's totally valid!

I am similar to you and felt like any relevant topic would sound too much like a pity party or be repetitive from my PS. Why X schools are my go to option as well, and some schools like Michigan have even more topics to pick from. Good luck!

Thanks, you too!

I've only seen a why x school option from Michigan so far... hopefully they're only one of a few T14 schools that have the option. Writing the freaking PS is enough for me, thanks :lol:

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:48 am

I'm actually going to provide contrary advice and say that adding a diversity statement when you're a white, cis, straight male who has had a relatively sheltered life is going to count against you. Ad comms are going to be reading actual diversity statements. Anything that smacks of, "I bring ideological diversity to a class, because I'm brave enough to be a Republican," is not going to play well.

You recognize that you aren't really adding diversity to the class. As a "typical white, American male", that isn't your job or your selling point on an app.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�