Character and Fitness Disclosure: Speeding Tickets

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Character and Fitness Disclosure: Speeding Tickets

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:01 pm

Edit: First things first, I don't know that 30+ is criminal, but it says criminal on my ticket. The officer cited the wrong statute, but I don't really know if changes and don't know if it matters enough to get into the weeds on

Can someone critique my Disclosure for two tickets I received?

The purpose of this Addendum is to disclose two speeding tickets I received. The first, a civil infraction, was received in 2011. The second, a criminal infraction, in 2012.

On November 17, 2011 I received a speeding ticket in [Town], Florida. I was traveling 48 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone. I pleaded no contest by mail, and paid the $206.00 fine. Additionally, in lieu of receiving points on my license, I elected to take a four hour driver improvement course. I completed the course on December 20th, 2011.

On December 2, 2012, while driving on Interstate 10 in [County] returning to [University], I received a ticket traveling 102 miles per hour in a 70 mile per hour zone. In the state of Florida a ticket for traveling in excess of 30 miles per hour over the posted limit is a criminal infraction and requires adjudication by a judge in court. On January 13, 2013 I pleaded no contest to the ticket in [County]. Adjudication was withheld pending payment of a $400.00 dollar fine and completion of a 12 hour driver improvement course by April 18 2013. I paid the fine January 13, 2013 and completed the driver improvement course April 03, 2013

I accept full responsibility for my actions in these events. The events following my second ticket, including the court proceedings and the driver improvement course helped me realize the gravity and dangers of my actions in both cases. I realize now just how much danger traveling at the speeds I was traveling poses, and have avoided all speeding since. I also matured greatly through the events following my second ticket and have been much more cognizant of the ramifications of my actions since, which has a had a significant benefit on all decision making in my life.

I have had no other incidents with law enforcement in my lifetime.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Re: Character and Fitness Disclosure: Speeding Tickets

Postby jdmonkey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Driving 30 mph over is automatically reckless driving in most states. I would state the charges in the first paragraph, because there is unneeded suspense until you get to the criminal incident. I was thinking maybe it was a police chase or something badass lol. I would also unequivocally state that you do not have a criminal record.

Is there any way you can remove the part about taking the driver's class after the first ticket? Unless the question forces you to disclose that, because it comes across as if you didn't learn your lesson the first time. You did the driver's education after the first incident and your conduct in the second incident was much more serious. That way the moral of the story can be the driver's education made me a more cautious driver...or some nonsense. If you have to disclose the first driving class, you could say the fact that you could have been branded as a convict for the rest of your life scared you, so you decided that would you never put yourself in that situation again.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Re: Character and Fitness Disclosure: Speeding Tickets

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:58 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Driving 30 mph over is automatically reckless driving in most states. I would state the charges in the first paragraph, because there is unneeded suspense until you get to the criminal incident. I was thinking maybe it was a police chase or something badass lol. I would also unequivocally state that you do not have a criminal record.

Is there any way you can remove the part about taking the driver's class after the first ticket? Unless the question forces you to disclose that, because it comes across as if you didn't learn your lesson the first time. You did the driver's education after the first incident and your conduct in the second incident was much more serious. That way the moral of the story can be the driver's education made me a more cautious driver...or some nonsense. If you have to disclose the first driving class, you could say the fact that you could have been branded as a convict for the rest of your life scared you, so you decided that would you never put yourself in that situation again.

Schools pretty much all ask for the disposition of the each incident. I have to include the driver improvement course. I'm not sure how FL treats it, I know 30+ is not auto reckless, but may still be criminal.

I'll work with a lot of this stuff and edit my disclosure

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�