Controversial topic/hobby in PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
floatie

Silver

Controversial topic/hobby in PS

Postby floatie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:14 pm

I want to incorporate my marksmanship competition experience into the general theme of my PS (it's very relevant to the theme), but I'm worried about bringing up guns in a PS to schools that are in traditionally anti-gun states/regions. I don't come across as one of those crazy gun nuts in the essay, but should I risk including it? In addition to my involvement with marksmanship being relevant, I thought it might add a bit to my diversity as an LGBT Asian female.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Controversial topic/hobby in PS

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

"Anti-gun" states aren't anti-target shooting. They tend to be filled with people who are against giving psychologically unstable people unfettered access to extremely powerful firearms. So if that's your favorite topic, knock yourself out.

oidsedidy

New

Postby oidsedidy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:36 pm

floatie wrote:I want to incorporate my marksmanship competition experience into the general theme of my PS (it's very relevant to the theme), but I'm worried about bringing up guns in a PS to schools that are in traditionally anti-gun states/regions. I don't come across as one of those crazy gun nuts in the essay, but should I risk including it? In addition to my involvement with marksmanship being relevant, I thought it might add a bit to my diversity as an LGBT Asian female.

Sounds pretty cool- I highly doubt it would count as a mark against you.

Blueprint Mithun

Bronze

Postby Blueprint Mithun » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 pm

floatie wrote:I want to incorporate my marksmanship competition experience into the general theme of my PS (it's very relevant to the theme), but I'm worried about bringing up guns in a PS to schools that are in traditionally anti-gun states/regions. I don't come across as one of those crazy gun nuts in the essay, but should I risk including it? In addition to my involvement with marksmanship being relevant, I thought it might add a bit to my diversity as an LGBT Asian female.

I think you're definitely overthinking it. People are aware that marksmanship is a sport, and that engaging in it doesn't automatically make you a 'gun nut.' In fact, it sounds like a fairly unique topic, which is a plus.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�