GPA Addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

GPA Addendum

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Hey all, I had a 3.3 GPA, but it really should have been around a 3.5. Here is an addendum that I am including, can you please let me know if this works? Thanks:

My 2006-2007 grades do not reflect my academic ability and potential. I was in the early stages of recovery from a Traumatic Brain Injury that I sustained in an automobile accident. During the fall 2006 semester I earned a 2.70 GPA, and in the spring semester of 2007 I earned a 2.67 GPA. During the fall of 2007 semester, I underwent the traumatic experiencing of finding my roommate in my dormitory room after he had committed suicide. In the turbulence following that incident, I earned a 3.07 GPA.

After those three semesters, I earned a 3.54 GPA during the spring of 2008. I then proceeded to make the Dean’s list in three of the remaining semesters, as well as earning a 3.47 GPA during the fall of 2008 semester. My undergraduate career at Penn State culminated with me earning a 4.0 GPA in my final semester. If it wasn’t for brain fog during the beginning of my collegiate career, I would have had an improved GPA.

TLSDookie

New

Re: GPA Addendum

Postby TLSDookie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:28 am

You can surely rephrase the final sentence to something more professional than "brain fog." You have a rock solid medical excuse, brain fog sounds like something a petulant child would excuse a low performance on a test with, after deciding to day dream rather than focus on the test.

"My grades were substantively and adversely impacted as a result of my debilitating brain injury and personal hardship during my freshman year. My scholastic achievement over the final 4(6?) semesters of classes at Penn St. Are more indicative of my ability to handle the workload and succeed in law school next year."

Maybe something like that?

Famous

New

Postby Famous » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I had a 3.3 GPA, but it really should have been around a 3.5. Here is an addendum that I am including, can you please let me know if this works? Thanks:

My 2006-2007 grades do not reflect my academic ability and potential. I was in the early stages of recovery from a Traumatic Brain Injury that I sustained in an automobile accident. During the fall 2006 semester I earned a 2.70 GPA, and in the spring semester of 2007 I earned a 2.67 GPA. During the fall of 2007 semester, I underwent the traumatic experiencing of finding my roommate in my dormitory room after he had committed suicide. In the turbulence following that incident, I earned a 3.07 GPA.

After those three semesters, I earned a 3.54 GPA during the spring of 2008. I then proceeded to make the Dean’s list in three of the remaining semesters, as well as earning a 3.47 GPA during the fall of 2008 semester. My undergraduate career at Penn State culminated with me earning a 4.0 GPA in my final semester. If it wasn’t for brain fog during the beginning of my collegiate career, I would have had an improved GPA.

Is "Traumatic Brain Injury" a capitalized term? Looking online it seems that you should not capitalize each word -- probably something worth double-checking. I also think that, when referring to specific academic semesters, they are capitalized (i.e. "Fall Semester 2006", "Spring Semester 2007", etc). Content-wise, the second sentence in the second paragraph is a bit confusing, if unnecessary. Simply stating "I then proceeded to make the Dean’s list in three of the remaining semesters" suffices, because adcoms have your transcript. Eliminating the caveat about the 3.47 GPA makes the statement about making Dean's list 3/4 semesters stronger.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:25 am

TLSDookie wrote:You can surely rephrase the final sentence to something more professional than "brain fog." You have a rock solid medical excuse, brain fog sounds like something a petulant child would excuse a low performance on a test with, after deciding to day dream rather than focus on the test.

"My grades were substantively and adversely impacted as a result of my debilitating brain injury and personal hardship during my freshman year. My scholastic achievement over the final 4(6?) semesters of classes at Penn St. Are more indicative of my ability to handle the workload and succeed in law school next year."

Maybe something like that?

Agreed, especially about something like the bolded. Saying "If not for this thing, then I would have had a better GPA" just doesn't come across well (okay, but it did happen and you don't have a better GPA).

bigdreams44

New

Postby bigdreams44 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, I had a 3.3 GPA, but it really should have been around a 3.5. Here is an addendum that I am including, can you please let me know if this works? Thanks:

I have not written a GPA addendum, but I do not exactly like this. A couple reasons why:

1. It is a list in paragraph form. They can see your GPA on your transcript, give it more depth here.
2. I do not like how you say you earned a 3.07 GPA (as if it is good) immediately after you state you found your roommate dead. At least put something in between and explain it a little more. Show some more emotion and how you fought through it.
3. I don't like "brain fog" because it seems to downplay what you went through.

Again, I just think it needs more depth. I would like to feel some emotion for you as the reader but since it reads in paragraph form and you kind of downplay your experiences, I don't.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:43 am

Do you mind if I ask what schools you are targeting? It will potentially influence advice based on where your overall GPA falls in relation to schools' medians/25ths. Really sorry that these things happened to you OP but glad that you were able to bounce back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:11 am

pittsburghpirates wrote:Do you mind if I ask what schools you are targeting? It will potentially influence advice based on where your overall GPA falls in relation to schools' medians/25ths. Really sorry that these things happened to you OP but glad that you were able to bounce back.

Mostly schools that fall in the 40-70 range... A few lower, a couple higher. Let's say, schools like Villanova. Temple, Pitt, UNC, Georgia State, Emory, Wake Forest

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:17 am

Also, the reason I list out so many semesters is bc my transcript (for some reason) does not credit me with Dean's List during that 2008 semester where I scored a 3.54. Additionally, my 3.47 semester was .03 points from being credited with Dean's List. So, I feel like I need to point out those semesters.

mukol

Bronze

Postby mukol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, the reason I list out so many semesters is bc my transcript (for some reason) does not credit me with Dean's List during that 2008 semester where I scored a 3.54. Additionally, my 3.47 semester was .03 points from being credited with Dean's List. So, I feel like I need to point out those semesters.

I wouldn't point out that were .03 away from dean's list. That's not making the cut. I also wouldn't say I really should've made the dean's list one semester but wasn't credited. Call the registrar at your UG and see why you weren't credited with it. Were you taking enough credits, etc? If you should've been credited, get it corrected. If you shouldn't have been, let it go.

You could probably cut it down to a few sentences.

I suffered a traumatic brian injury in 200x. While recovering my academic performance suffered for 2 semesters. As I progressed through treatment my GPA improved steadily, making deans list X times, with a 4.0 GPA my final semester at Xxx University. I'm capabale etc etc.

Short and sweet.

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Postby pittsburghpirates » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
pittsburghpirates wrote:Do you mind if I ask what schools you are targeting? It will potentially influence advice based on where your overall GPA falls in relation to schools' medians/25ths. Really sorry that these things happened to you OP but glad that you were able to bounce back.

Mostly schools that fall in the 40-70 range... A few lower, a couple higher. Let's say, schools like Villanova. Temple, Pitt, UNC, Georgia State, Emory, Wake Forest

Ok so your current GPA is below median, but for most of your targets seems to be around the 25th which is very much in the ballpark. With a 75th percentile or higher LSAT score, I don't think schools will be hesitant to admit you and your transcript alone will already show an upward trend. If it were me, I would lean towards not writing an addendum for your GPA at all. But if you are going to write one, I would keep it very short and sweet similar to what mukol said. Best of luck OP!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements?