Disclose?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User
Posts: 316234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Disclose?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:46 pm

I have 2 underage drinking citations that are 10 years old (summary offenses). Further, I have an 8 y/o furnishing alcohol to minors charge (when I was 21, I bought beer for my 20 y/o roommate and got caught) - this has since been expunged from my record.

None of these charges will affect my ability to take the bar (I spoke with an attorney about this already).

I haven't disclosed any of this. My question is, should I? Why should I? Thanks

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Disclose?

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:54 pm

yes. always. underage drinking - even DUIs won't affect your admission (to school and bar). lying will.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Disclose?

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:55 pm

pancakes3 wrote:yes. always. underage drinking - even DUIs won't affect your admission (to school and bar). lying will.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Disclose?

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Not legal advice, just personal opinion:

Yes you should disclose.

If you disclose, nothing bad will happen.

If you don't disclose, it's possible that something bad could happen. That bad something has do to with honesty concerns, not alcohol infractions. When you apply for the bar, there will be an inconsistency between your (1) disclosure to the bar and (2) your nondisclosure in your law school application. That reflects poorly on you, and could potentially cause problems.

Disclose. Be upfront and honest. That way, you will have nothing to worry about down the road.

User avatar
oidsedidy

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

Re: Disclose?

Postby oidsedidy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Disclose disclose 1000x disclose.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Disclose?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:03 pm

If any of your applications include questions that ask for these kinds of citations, yes, you need to disclose them. Because when you apply for the bar you will be asked about criminal history, and the bar can check criminal records, and lack of disclosure is always a much much bigger deal than what you are disclosing. If schools ask expressly for expunged convictions, you disclose those as well. You're also affirming that all your answers on your law school apps are true, so make sure that they are.

(I think this is one of the biggest differences between legal culture and ordinary people culture. For the law, not disclosing is ALWAYS a bad idea.)

Keep in mind that the bar only cares about discrepancies where your law school app actually asked you about something (for example: my law school doesn't ask about mental health treatment. My state bar does. No one in the state bar is going to care that you didn't disclose mental health treatment on your law school app, since it doesn't ask). So make sure you understand what the question is really asking and that you're answering it honestly (for instance, some schools will ask for expunged convictions, some won't. You don't have to volunteer your expunged conviction if it isn't asked for, just for fear of the state bar down the road).

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Disclose?

Postby poptart123 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:06 pm

Yes, disclose. We are trying to keep being an attorney an honest profession.

Seriously though, I know many people with underage drinking citations. I don't remember where, so don't quote me, but a while ago I've read that about 1/4 college students gets one. I think that's believable. Just admit to it, say it was a mistake that you regret, you fulfilled your duties given to you by the court, and that will be that.

As others have said, not disclosing can come back to bite you in the butt. Honesty > a trying to lie about teen's mistake.

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Disclose?

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:56 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If any of your applications include questions that ask for these kinds of citations, yes, you need to disclose them. Because when you apply for the bar you will be asked about criminal history, and the bar can check criminal records, and lack of disclosure is always a much much bigger deal than what you are disclosing. If schools ask expressly for expunged convictions, you disclose those as well. You're also affirming that all your answers on your law school apps are true, so make sure that they are.

(I think this is one of the biggest differences between legal culture and ordinary people culture. For the law, not disclosing is ALWAYS a bad idea.)

Keep in mind that the bar only cares about discrepancies where your law school app actually asked you about something (for example: my law school doesn't ask about mental health treatment. My state bar does. No one in the state bar is going to care that you didn't disclose mental health treatment on your law school app, since it doesn't ask). So make sure you understand what the question is really asking and that you're answering it honestly (for instance, some schools will ask for expunged convictions, some won't. You don't have to volunteer your expunged conviction if it isn't asked for, just for fear of the state bar down the road).


I have two expunged convictions from when I was a kid (a theft under 50 and a possession of tobacco by a minor). If asked for expunged convictions on my law school apps, I'm obviously going to disclose. But do you think this is something I should be worried about when applying? I have no idea how much law schools care about charges like those when looking at applicants.

Fantasyfreak294

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Re: Disclose?

Postby Fantasyfreak294 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:56 am

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:If any of your applications include questions that ask for these kinds of citations, yes, you need to disclose them. Because when you apply for the bar you will be asked about criminal history, and the bar can check criminal records, and lack of disclosure is always a much much bigger deal than what you are disclosing. If schools ask expressly for expunged convictions, you disclose those as well. You're also affirming that all your answers on your law school apps are true, so make sure that they are.

(I think this is one of the biggest differences between legal culture and ordinary people culture. For the law, not disclosing is ALWAYS a bad idea.)

Keep in mind that the bar only cares about discrepancies where your law school app actually asked you about something (for example: my law school doesn't ask about mental health treatment. My state bar does. No one in the state bar is going to care that you didn't disclose mental health treatment on your law school app, since it doesn't ask). So make sure you understand what the question is really asking and that you're answering it honestly (for instance, some schools will ask for expunged convictions, some won't. You don't have to volunteer your expunged conviction if it isn't asked for, just for fear of the state bar down the road).


I have two expunged convictions from when I was a kid (a theft under 50 and a possession of tobacco by a minor). If asked for expunged convictions on my law school apps, I'm obviously going to disclose. But do you think this is something I should be worried about when applying? I have no idea how much law schools care about charges like those when looking at applicants.


Clarification: When I say law schools, I mean those w/in the T-14, except Yale.



Return to “Law School Personal Statements�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.