PS advice?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
brinicolec

Gold

PS advice?

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:46 am

Last edited by brinicolec on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deardevil

Bronze

Re: PS advice?

Postby Deardevil » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:51 am

I like the first three topics you posed.

The problem I see with the last one is it's very possible to talk more about your sibling than yourself;
after all, it's a personal statement, and you wish to sell yourself as much as possible.

You won't go wrong with discussing your academic achievements because, surely,
10 different schools would provide a broad range of experience... Wow.
That said, I also like thinking outside of the box, so it's not something I'd personally roll with.
You do need to amaze the admissions committee, but you can incorporate the 10 schools in another topic,
such as the first or third. The latter is something commonly discussed, but I think you can make something ordinary extraordinary.
The former seems more interesting, something that the committee members probably rarely read.

Just make sure, whichever you end up choosing, that you're passionate about that topic.
Even if it's something dull, know that you can glorify it and build an exciting tale around a seemingly insignificant event.
It's hard to say you'll even stick with the choice, but you'll figure it all out once you start writing and compose a rough draft; it'll be one of many.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:47 pm

Deardevil wrote:I like the first three topics you posed.

The problem I see with the last one is it's very possible to talk more about your sibling than yourself;
after all, it's a personal statement, and you wish to sell yourself as much as possible.

You won't go wrong with discussing your academic achievements because, surely,
10 different schools would provide a broad range of experience... Wow.
That said, I also like thinking outside of the box, so it's not something I'd personally roll with.
You do need to amaze the admissions committee, but you can incorporate the 10 schools in another topic,
such as the first or third. The latter is something commonly discussed, but I think you can make something ordinary extraordinary.
The former seems more interesting, something that the committee members probably rarely read.

Just make sure, whichever you end up choosing, that you're passionate about that topic.
Even if it's something dull, know that you can glorify it and build an exciting tale around a seemingly insignificant event.
It's hard to say you'll even stick with the choice, but you'll figure it all out once you start writing and compose a rough draft; it'll be one of many.

So "Internet fame" for PS and "colorism" for DS sounds reasonable?

34iplaw

Gold

Postby 34iplaw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm

I sort of give the same advice to anyone struggling with a specific topic or wording. You are in a far better place than most if you are a strong writer and can communicate abstract and important personal details through creative and evocative narrative.

I think #1 could be interesting, but it also has the ability to just read like a bio or synopsis. I think it should probably play a role, but, perhaps, it is expository. Perhaps, this is, in part, why you and your step brother had such a rocky relationship.

From what you said on #2, it is likely that will be part of your DS. I imagine the military brat aspect may as well.

Just write something. Just sit down and get your thoughts on paper.

Don't fret over how exactly your rocky relationship with your brother relates to law school. Just write about it. Flesh out those conflicting emotions [of which I'm sure there are countless]. Give it some time to breathe and grow organically. I will likely be writing something similar, as, the more I think about it, the more I realize that, for better or worse, that relationship has probably been the most defining part of my life for the past several years.

The YT thing could be interesting as well, but I really know nothing of that. Either way, just put pen to paper [or finger to key] and flesh the ideas out a little.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:17 am

Last edited by brinicolec on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:07 am

I think you have a number of strong ideas (not a huge fan of the rocky relationship one to be honest, but the others sound interesting). The best advice I have is why don't you sit down and try writing one of the topics or two. Doesn't have to be well polished, but just see how you feel writing it. It's one thing to give a bullet point idea of your essay, but to jump in and try writing can be very enlightening. My original idea that I thought looked great when in bullet point form was atrocious, while the idea I was very skeptical of felt so right. If you feel like you are fighting just to get a few sentences together for one topic, it's a nice hint that you might want to pick something else.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:20 am

galadriel3019 wrote:I think you have a number of strong ideas (not a huge fan of the rocky relationship one to be honest, but the others sound interesting). The best advice I have is why don't you sit down and try writing one of the topics or two. Doesn't have to be well polished, but just see how you feel writing it. It's one thing to give a bullet point idea of your essay, but to jump in and try writing can be very enlightening. My original idea that I thought looked great when in bullet point form was atrocious, while the idea I was very skeptical of felt so right. If you feel like you are fighting just to get a few sentences together for one topic, it's a nice hint that you might want to pick something else.

Thanks for your thoughts! Any opinion on the depression bit?

Deardevil

Bronze

Postby Deardevil » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:27 am

brinicolec wrote:Thank you both for the feedback.

I'm assuming that my history of depression is something I should just completely steer clear of, even if it's really well-written?

EDIT: If it would help to see it before you can truly decide, I'm open to posting it so you all can see what would be the basis of the essay. The actual version would be edited to cut out some of the more *sad* details and also just because it's lengthy.

Anytime. Huge no-no on depression. Don't build around negativity.
Sure, you can mention it and how you might've overcome/learned something out of it, but not suitable for a topic, imo.
The adcomm invites positive stories, so it's better to go with something light and fun.
And definitely ease up on length. Stick to around two pages.

Would be happy to read/critique your draft(s)!

galadriel3019

New

Postby galadriel3019 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:54 am

brinicolec wrote:
galadriel3019 wrote:I think you have a number of strong ideas (not a huge fan of the rocky relationship one to be honest, but the others sound interesting). The best advice I have is why don't you sit down and try writing one of the topics or two. Doesn't have to be well polished, but just see how you feel writing it. It's one thing to give a bullet point idea of your essay, but to jump in and try writing can be very enlightening. My original idea that I thought looked great when in bullet point form was atrocious, while the idea I was very skeptical of felt so right. If you feel like you are fighting just to get a few sentences together for one topic, it's a nice hint that you might want to pick something else.

Difficult to say without actually seeing an essay. I am sure there have been fantastic personal statements that involve that topic, and awful ones. We'd need to see how you craft yours. I think the important thing to keep in mind when considering serious topics like that, is you still need to make sure the adcomms come away learning about who YOU are, WHY you'd be a great fit for their school. The balance can be tricky, which is why I can't say "yes it's a perfect topic" or "no absolutely stay away".

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:47 pm

galadriel3019 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Difficult to say without actually seeing an essay. I am sure there have been fantastic personal statements that involve that topic, and awful ones. We'd need to see how you craft yours. I think the important thing to keep in mind when considering serious topics like that, is you still need to make sure the adcomms come away learning about who YOU are, WHY you'd be a great fit for their school. The balance can be tricky, which is why I can't say "yes it's a perfect topic" or "no absolutely stay away".

Yeah, I went to the LAWS in DC yesterday and asked several deans from different schools and that seemed to be the takeaway I left with as well. I may play with the topic a little and see what I can craft then have some people look at it and tell me what they think. If I can't make it work, I'll probably stick to the YT one lol.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�