Please critique my C&F addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Please critique my C&F addendum

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:26 am

"I am writing this addendum in regards to the ‘Disclosures’ section of my application. There have been two instances in the past where I have been charged for two misdemeanors each time. After being charged, in both cases, all charges were completely dismissed.

In November of 2011, I was in my freshman year of college and I was charged with Minor in Possession of Alcohol and Possession of False Identification. Both of these charges are misdemeanors in the state of Arizona. I only have the approximate date for this incident because there are no records of this incident that are available from the Tempe Police. I was fortunate enough to be offered take a diversion program. I enrolled in the diversion program and upon completion, both of the minor misdemeanor charges were dismissed.

On December 30th, 2014 the Arizona Department of Public Safety wrote me a citation for Attempted Possession of Marijuana and Attempted Possession of Paraphernalia. Both of these citations are also misdemeanors in the state of Arizona. I was accepted into the Wise Choice Alternatives diversion program and upon completion all charges were completely dismissed by the La Paz county attorney.

Both of these instances were mistakes on my part and I take complete responsibility for my actions. Through these experiences I have learned that in order for me to be successful moving forward it is critical for me to obey the law and improve my decision-making. I have stopped using marijuana since December of 2014 and I have focused in on school and my goal of attending law school."

any advice helps! thanks!

proctor_right_in_the

New

Re: Please critique my C&F addendum

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 am

Were you arrested either of these times? Or were you simply issued a written citation? If you were arrested, even if the charges were later dismissed, the dates and exact charges will be easy to obtain. Adcoms appreciate such things.

proctor_right_in_the

New

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 am

Otherwise, I'd say your addendum is fine. You're not over-explaining, you're not making excuses, and you come across just apologetic enough without groveling unnecessarily. But having exact dates and charges would make it a done deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 am

OP here. Thanks for the response. I was not arrested either of the times. I was written a citation and never even stood in front of a judge. In the first case the ADA pulled me out and told me what I needed to do with the diversion program and I left. For the marijuana case the ADA called me and worked it out over the phone since I was two hours away from his office.

I have the exact date/time/case # for the marijuana case. Should I add that information? I only did not have information on the first case.

EDIT: I guess I meant, should I add the case # for the second case? All of the charges I have written are accurate and the date for the second case is accurate.

proctor_right_in_the

New

Postby proctor_right_in_the » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:00 am

I would vote yes, on disclosing everything you have, including case #. I applied to over 20 schools, and the majority didn't look at my C&F addendum too closely (my situation was similar to yours... maybe a little worse) but I have to say, the two schools that did want more info sent me an email asking for more info, and that's an awkward moment. I think if the information had been there already, and they hadn't had to ask, I'd have been a stronger applicant.

Just my $.02.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:04 am

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

BigTex

Bronze

Postby BigTex » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:54 pm

I had an MIP to report as well. Don't say the "I was fortunate" part in your explanation. It makes it sound like you "got off" if that makes sense. Also I don't think your last paragraph is really necessary. You paid for your crime and your continued adherence to the law after the fact is evidenced by your lack of further legal trouble. I just think it's best to simply state what you did (with as many details as possible), your punishment, and that you completed your punishment in a timely manner and moved on with life. You don't want to sound corny with a "moral of the story I sure learned my lesson" ending and don't need anything more than the facts. JMO.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:58 pm

tag. will review later. went through C&F in AZ with issues if you have any particular questions you want to PM me

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:24 pm

Some notes:

1st paragraph - do you have anything to document your requests to Tempe Police? I would attach that. You'll want it later down the line when you're applying for C&F (also try to contact dept of public safety in az, they have a fingerprint background check which may help locate records). Anything to show that you have done your due diligence to find any records that may exist will be helpful. Emails, phone numbers, names of people you spoke with, etc. etc. I agree with other poster that "fortunate" can be removed

2nd paragraph - brief and to the point. good.

3rd paragraph - good. I don't really like the sentence about stopping use of weed but I can see why you wanted to include it.

You should also review this rule if you're going to be applying to practice in AZ: http://www.azcourts.gov/Portals/26/admi ... gFINAL.pdf

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:59 pm

OP here, thank you for all of the notes. I did take out the fortunate part, but I have already sent it so there is no looking back now.

Also, I will not be practicing in Arizona under any circumstance lol. so don't have to worry about that

BigTex

Bronze

Postby BigTex » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thank you for all of the notes. I did take out the fortunate part, but I have already sent it so there is no looking back now.

Also, I will not be practicing in Arizona under any circumstance lol. so don't have to worry about that

Good luck!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Postby Clyde Frog » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:"I am writing this addendum in regards to the ‘Disclosures’ section of my application. There have been two instances in the past where I have been charged for two misdemeanors each time. After being charged, in both cases, all charges were completely dismissed.

In November of 2011, I was in my freshman year of college and I was charged with Minor in Possession of Alcohol and Possession of False Identification. Both of these charges are misdemeanors in the state of Arizona. I only have the approximate date for this incident because there are no records of this incident that are available from the Tempe Police. I was fortunate enough to be offered take a diversion program. I enrolled in the diversion program and upon completion, both of the minor misdemeanor charges were dismissed.

On December 30th, 2014 the Arizona Department of Public Safety wrote me a citation for Attempted Possession of Marijuana and Attempted Possession of Paraphernalia. Both of these citations are also misdemeanors in the state of Arizona. I was accepted into the Wise Choice Alternatives diversion program and upon completion all charges were completely dismissed by the La Paz county attorney.

Both of these instances were mistakes on my part and I take complete responsibility for my actions. Through these experiences I have learned that in order for me to be successful moving forward it is critical for me to obey the law and improve my decision-making. I have stopped using marijuana since December of 2014 and I have focused in on school and my goal of attending law school."

any advice helps! thanks!

Make up a more serious crime (preferably violent) so that you don't look so soft.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:38 pm

Return to “Law School Personal Statements?