I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
a93212

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby a93212 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:03 pm

catch20two wrote:
I'm not saying don't disclose the incident at all. I'm just saying think twice before you double down and also make it the focus of your personal statement.


I completely agree here; if I didn't I would have already written it. I just see this as an excellent opportunity to forego the usual, cliche statement in favor of an honest discussion of how I became so passionate about all of this.

PM'd

a93212

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby a93212 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:12 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:There's a large number of problems with using this as a topic. But let me first say I clearly understand why the OP would want to use it. It was a deeply formative experience that lead the author to the realization that there are inequities in the justice system, and toward a passion for and career in the law. These are all wonderful reason to write a PS. I've read hundreds, if not thousands of this ilk, often involving a family member being wronged and misrepresented. Even more, neuroscience tells us that issues that are emotionally important to us are the ones we retain and recall the most vividly. A vivid, personal essay is compelling. And most statements are not compelling at all.

But, again, this would be a huge mistake by my estimation. I'm not saying I am "right" in a vacuum -- it could potentially be pulled off and there may be a file reader who could relate. But I have read tens of thousands of applications, and I do talk to law school admissions deans every week, and we talk about things like this. So please know I am giving you a mindful answer to the best of my ability and experience.

I also don't have time to go into all the reasons I wouldn't use it -- and many are well covered. Let me just illuminate one big error in thinking; that you believe you will be perceived as innocent because you were found to be innocent. That is far from the truth. In fact, just writing about it means there will be suspicions that would not possibly be there if you do not, for the schools that ask only about convictions. By the very fact you choose this topic you are opening up suspicion. Why would you do that? Moreover, when I read this thread (again, admittedly quickly), I get MORE suspicious. I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law." I just see a lot of doubling down on "the judicial system found me to be innocent thus I must be innocent." So, while while you indeed may have been all of that, the more you write, the more suspicious I get. Do you see why that would be devastating as a PS topic for that reason alone?

I could go on. But I really think this thread needs to die. OP has asked for opinions and received numerous. I think there are cogent responses on each side and ultimately I would not write about it if this were my experience + given my 17 years in this industry. I hope this helps!

I respectfully disagree, Spivey. I wrote a personal statement about much more serious matters and my cycle turned out well. You can PM me for details if you'd like.

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby ms9 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 pm

a93212 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:There's a large number of problems with using this as a topic. But let me first say I clearly understand why the OP would want to use it. It was a deeply formative experience that lead the author to the realization that there are inequities in the justice system, and toward a passion for and career in the law. These are all wonderful reason to write a PS. I've read hundreds, if not thousands of this ilk, often involving a family member being wronged and misrepresented. Even more, neuroscience tells us that issues that are emotionally important to us are the ones we retain and recall the most vividly. A vivid, personal essay is compelling. And most statements are not compelling at all.

But, again, this would be a huge mistake by my estimation. I'm not saying I am "right" in a vacuum -- it could potentially be pulled off and there may be a file reader who could relate. But I have read tens of thousands of applications, and I do talk to law school admissions deans every week, and we talk about things like this. So please know I am giving you a mindful answer to the best of my ability and experience.

I also don't have time to go into all the reasons I wouldn't use it -- and many are well covered. Let me just illuminate one big error in thinking; that you believe you will be perceived as innocent because you were found to be innocent. That is far from the truth. In fact, just writing about it means there will be suspicions that would not possibly be there if you do not, for the schools that ask only about convictions. By the very fact you choose this topic you are opening up suspicion. Why would you do that? Moreover, when I read this thread (again, admittedly quickly), I get MORE suspicious. I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law." I just see a lot of doubling down on "the judicial system found me to be innocent thus I must be innocent." So, while while you indeed may have been all of that, the more you write, the more suspicious I get. Do you see why that would be devastating as a PS topic for that reason alone?

I could go on. But I really think this thread needs to die. OP has asked for opinions and received numerous. I think there are cogent responses on each side and ultimately I would not write about it if this were my experience + given my 17 years in this industry. I hope this helps!

I respectfully disagree, Spivey. I wrote a personal statement about much more serious matters and my cycle turned out well. You can PM me for details if you'd like.


Sure, please send me. I'm curious.

I spoke this over just now with my two business partners one the former director of admissions at Harvard Law for many years, the other the former dean of admissions at Penn Law. We all agree this is way way too risky. Sure, it could be pulled off. I've never doubted that. But man is it a risk.

catch20two

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby catch20two » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:22 pm

There have been some great points made here and I appreciate everybody weighing in. I plan to get on here later tonight to respond to some of the questions I've received, and ask some additional questions, if that's ok.

In the meantime, however, I think I should respond to this specifically:

I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law."


Respectfully, the second sentence of my initial post states, unequivocally, that "I was completely innocent". I have been clear that the fact that I was wrongly accused is what has motivated my interest in law. Perhaps I didn't use the exact phrasing you used above, but your assessment is unfair, and not supported by my own statements in this thread.

That said, I appreciate an individual of your experience level taking the time to offer your thoughts, and I will consider them.

a93212

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby a93212 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:25 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
a93212 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:There's a large number of problems with using this as a topic. But let me first say I clearly understand why the OP would want to use it. It was a deeply formative experience that lead the author to the realization that there are inequities in the justice system, and toward a passion for and career in the law. These are all wonderful reason to write a PS. I've read hundreds, if not thousands of this ilk, often involving a family member being wronged and misrepresented. Even more, neuroscience tells us that issues that are emotionally important to us are the ones we retain and recall the most vividly. A vivid, personal essay is compelling. And most statements are not compelling at all.

But, again, this would be a huge mistake by my estimation. I'm not saying I am "right" in a vacuum -- it could potentially be pulled off and there may be a file reader who could relate. But I have read tens of thousands of applications, and I do talk to law school admissions deans every week, and we talk about things like this. So please know I am giving you a mindful answer to the best of my ability and experience.

I also don't have time to go into all the reasons I wouldn't use it -- and many are well covered. Let me just illuminate one big error in thinking; that you believe you will be perceived as innocent because you were found to be innocent. That is far from the truth. In fact, just writing about it means there will be suspicions that would not possibly be there if you do not, for the schools that ask only about convictions. By the very fact you choose this topic you are opening up suspicion. Why would you do that? Moreover, when I read this thread (again, admittedly quickly), I get MORE suspicious. I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law." I just see a lot of doubling down on "the judicial system found me to be innocent thus I must be innocent." So, while while you indeed may have been all of that, the more you write, the more suspicious I get. Do you see why that would be devastating as a PS topic for that reason alone?

I could go on. But I really think this thread needs to die. OP has asked for opinions and received numerous. I think there are cogent responses on each side and ultimately I would not write about it if this were my experience + given my 17 years in this industry. I hope this helps!

I respectfully disagree, Spivey. I wrote a personal statement about much more serious matters and my cycle turned out well. You can PM me for details if you'd like.


Sure, please send me. I'm curious.

I spoke this over just now with my two business partners one the former director of admissions at Harvard Law for many years, the other the former dean of admissions at Penn Law. We all agree this is way way too risky. Sure, it could be pulled off. I've never doubted that. But man is it a risk.

PM'd

Tls2016

Silver
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Tls2016 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:28 pm

a93212 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:There's a large number of problems with using this as a topic. But let me first say I clearly understand why the OP would want to use it. It was a deeply formative experience that lead the author to the realization that there are inequities in the justice system, and toward a passion for and career in the law. These are all wonderful reason to write a PS. I've read hundreds, if not thousands of this ilk, often involving a family member being wronged and misrepresented. Even more, neuroscience tells us that issues that are emotionally important to us are the ones we retain and recall the most vividly. A vivid, personal essay is compelling. And most statements are not compelling at all.

But, again, this would be a huge mistake by my estimation. I'm not saying I am "right" in a vacuum -- it could potentially be pulled off and there may be a file reader who could relate. But I have read tens of thousands of applications, and I do talk to law school admissions deans every week, and we talk about things like this. So please know I am giving you a mindful answer to the best of my ability and experience.

I also don't have time to go into all the reasons I wouldn't use it -- and many are well covered. Let me just illuminate one big error in thinking; that you believe you will be perceived as innocent because you were found to be innocent. That is far from the truth. In fact, just writing about it means there will be suspicions that would not possibly be there if you do not, for the schools that ask only about convictions. By the very fact you choose this topic you are opening up suspicion. Why would you do that? Moreover, when I read this thread (again, admittedly quickly), I get MORE suspicious. I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law." I just see a lot of doubling down on "the judicial system found me to be innocent thus I must be innocent." So, while while you indeed may have been all of that, the more you write, the more suspicious I get. Do you see why that would be devastating as a PS topic for that reason alone?

I could go on. But I really think this thread needs to die. OP has asked for opinions and received numerous. I think there are cogent responses on each side and ultimately I would not write about it if this were my experience + given my 17 years in this industry. I hope this helps!

I respectfully disagree, Spivey. I wrote a personal statement about much more serious matters and my cycle turned out well. You can PM me for details if you'd like.

OP doesn't have a "turned his life around story" the same as you have and congrats to you for doing so by the way, I'm not minimizing it.
I'm just pointing out that the two life stories here are very different.

Alive97

Bronze
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Alive97 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:29 pm

^now that is some in depth TLS advice from Spivey.

I do agree this needs to be a clear cut "I am definitely innocent and this was a complete injustice" type of thing.
Last edited by Alive97 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Tls2016 wrote:
a93212 wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:There's a large number of problems with using this as a topic. But let me first say I clearly understand why the OP would want to use it. It was a deeply formative experience that lead the author to the realization that there are inequities in the justice system, and toward a passion for and career in the law. These are all wonderful reason to write a PS. I've read hundreds, if not thousands of this ilk, often involving a family member being wronged and misrepresented. Even more, neuroscience tells us that issues that are emotionally important to us are the ones we retain and recall the most vividly. A vivid, personal essay is compelling. And most statements are not compelling at all.

But, again, this would be a huge mistake by my estimation. I'm not saying I am "right" in a vacuum -- it could potentially be pulled off and there may be a file reader who could relate. But I have read tens of thousands of applications, and I do talk to law school admissions deans every week, and we talk about things like this. So please know I am giving you a mindful answer to the best of my ability and experience.

I also don't have time to go into all the reasons I wouldn't use it -- and many are well covered. Let me just illuminate one big error in thinking; that you believe you will be perceived as innocent because you were found to be innocent. That is far from the truth. In fact, just writing about it means there will be suspicions that would not possibly be there if you do not, for the schools that ask only about convictions. By the very fact you choose this topic you are opening up suspicion. Why would you do that? Moreover, when I read this thread (again, admittedly quickly), I get MORE suspicious. I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law." I just see a lot of doubling down on "the judicial system found me to be innocent thus I must be innocent." So, while while you indeed may have been all of that, the more you write, the more suspicious I get. Do you see why that would be devastating as a PS topic for that reason alone?

I could go on. But I really think this thread needs to die. OP has asked for opinions and received numerous. I think there are cogent responses on each side and ultimately I would not write about it if this were my experience + given my 17 years in this industry. I hope this helps!

I respectfully disagree, Spivey. I wrote a personal statement about much more serious matters and my cycle turned out well. You can PM me for details if you'd like.

OP doesn't have a "turned his life around story" the same as you have and congrats to you for doing so by the way, I'm not minimizing it.
I'm just pointing out that the two life stories here are very different.


Yea, I think this distinction is notable.

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby ms9 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:43 pm

catch20two wrote:There have been some great points made here and I appreciate everybody weighing in. I plan to get on here later tonight to respond to some of the questions I've received, and ask some additional questions, if that's ok.

In the meantime, however, I think I should respond to this specifically:

I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law."


Respectfully, the second sentence of my initial post states, unequivocally, that "I was completely innocent". I have been clear that the fact that I was wrongly accused is what has motivated my interest in law. Perhaps I didn't use the exact phrasing you used above, but your assessment is unfair, and not supported by my own statements in this thread.

That said, I appreciate an individual of your experience level taking the time to offer your thoughts, and I will consider them.


Just so you know -- this is how nuanced things get. Usually, at least when I am reading stories of this nature, if someone is innocent they tend to say "I am completely innocent" ...not "I was" which, again, to me connotes you were found to be innocent. The point being your message is going to be really scrutinized.

You seem to be set on writing this, and I don't necessarily blame you. Just PLEASE know this is a very sophisticated message you need to be exceptionally careful. Write a draft. Then refine it to the nth degree. Mean precisely what you say. And more than anything, don't post it on here.

Tls2016

Silver
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Tls2016 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:53 pm

OP: the point of a PS is to help you get admitted not just tell your life story. People have been telling you why this is a big risk for your application.

As this event changed your life so much, what activities have you been involved with to promote justice, or help anyone else with the justice system, or anything involving law at all. Don't detail them here, but maybe you could write about those activities to show your passion for law?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29304
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
Tls2016 wrote:
a93212 wrote:I respectfully disagree, Spivey. I wrote a personal statement about much more serious matters and my cycle turned out well. You can PM me for details if you'd like.

OP doesn't have a "turned his life around story" the same as you have and congrats to you for doing so by the way, I'm not minimizing it.
I'm just pointing out that the two life stories here are very different.


Yea, I think this distinction is notable.

Also keep in mind that, right or wrong, in the twisted world of law, embezzlement is arguably more serious than what you were writing about. Dishonesty with funds is a huge huge red flag.

Winter is Coming

Bronze
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Winter is Coming » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Yea, I think this distinction is notable.[/quote]
Also keep in mind that, right or wrong, in the twisted world of law, embezzlement is arguably more serious than what you were writing about. Dishonesty with funds is a huge huge red flag.[/quote]

Really want to emphasis this point. It was not something I understood until law school (even working in law enforcement pre-LS). Crimes involving "dishonesty" are treated more severely than beating someone up by ethics folks.

Also, to echo what Spivey is saying, you really should edit your posts in this thread. It's a unique enough situation that you'd be relatively easy to identify.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:09 pm

catch20two wrote:There have been some great points made here and I appreciate everybody weighing in. I plan to get on here later tonight to respond to some of the questions I've received, and ask some additional questions, if that's ok.

In the meantime, however, I think I should respond to this specifically:

I have never once heard the OP say "this was a totally false charge, I was vindicated in the court of law from a grievous slander, and it was the fact that I could be so falsely accused that has me interested in law."


Respectfully, the second sentence of my initial post states, unequivocally, that "I was completely innocent". I have been clear that the fact that I was wrongly accused is what has motivated my interest in law. Perhaps I didn't use the exact phrasing you used above, but your assessment is unfair, and not supported by my own statements in this thread.

The fact that Spivey misunderstood you is instructive. He's a former adcomm. What do you think adcomms do with these statements? Hold a symposium for each one? I'm sure it varies from statement to statement and adcomm to adcomm, but I imagine that many (maybe even most) statements are skimmed in a couple of minutes. This goes to the whole "it's risky" theme--there's no guarantee that a reader will understand all the points you think you're making.

mvp99

Silver
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby mvp99 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Your subject is unnecessarily risky and it wont really help u gain admission (what matters is your gpa and lsat)- which is probably your main objective.
Last edited by mvp99 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby zhenders » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:19 pm

I just want to double down on what I said earlier, but more adamantly. OP, to do this and not crash and burn, you need to be a truly stellar -- and I mean top 0.1% -- writer. Spivey noted that if you're going to do this, poor decision as it is, it needs to be the single most-polished and poured-over thing you've ever written, and then some. Know too that if you end up a law student, even after 1st quarter of 1L year you would look back on someone thinking of doing this and beg them not to. You simply can't yet realize how little sympathy people in the profession have for those whom the system has deemed innocent, at least on those grounds alone; go read People v. Goetz: you'll quickly come to understand how unreliable legal innocence is when it comes to our perceptions of individual morality.

Talk about anything else. Write something else well. Write something blasé, even. Your personal statement can help a bit, or utterly destroy you; rarely does a personal statement outweigh your numbers, unless it's placed on the side of the scale against you -- which this is overwhelmingly likely to be.

User avatar
Pneumonia

Gold
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:24 pm

catch20two wrote: Respectfully, the second sentence of my initial post states, unequivocally, that "I was completely innocent". I have been clear that the fact that I was wrongly accused is what has motivated my interest in law. Perhaps I didn't use the exact phrasing you used above, but your assessment is unfair, and not supported by my own statements in this thread.

That said, I appreciate an individual of your experience level taking the time to offer your thoughts, and I will consider them.


Two things. First, as Rpupkin noted, it should be instructive that, although you did unequivocally note your innocence, Spivey apparently didn't receive the message that you wanted him to. You've been clear and articulate throughout this thread, but miscommunications still happen. That observation leads to the second point.

In a personal statement of this type you simply have too many conflicting boxes to check: clarity, brevity, and accuracy to name a few. You've spent more words in this thread than you'll have in a personal statement, and your story isn't fully clear to the extent that I'd want it to be if I were admitting you to a law school. In an addendum, you'd have all the space you need. Not so with a personal statement. Given the nature of the charge against you, it might actually be impossible to precisely convey an a fully accurate narrative within the span of two pages. One paragraph certainly wouldn't do. Words are just susceptible to too ambiguous construction for that to work. Just my two cents.

catch20two

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby catch20two » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm

I want to say again, truly, that I appreciate all of those that have come to offer their opinions. Some great points are being made, especially regarding the fact that a statement like this can be easily misinterpreted, as we've seen. An addendum, which includes only the facts, is much easier to control than a narrative. There some additional comments and questions that I would like to respond to, but I can't do that until later tonight.

** In the meantime, there is something of note that may make this decision a no-brainer (in the direction of not writing this statement). My target school is HLS, and my LSAT and GPA are both above 75th percentile for them (albeit barely on both). Harvard also happens to be one of the schools that only asks about convictions, meaning that I could fill out my entire application without ever mentioning this incident. Perhaps the fact that I am a shoe-in at HLS (at lease numbers wise) makes writing this statement all risk with very little potential for reward. I looked at this as a way to positively frame an incident that I was going to have to disclose anyway, but the fact that HLS wouldn't know about it otherwise seems to make that plan incoherent.

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:29 pm

catch20two wrote:I want to say again, truly, that I appreciate all of those that have come to offer their opinions. Some great points are being made, especially regarding the fact that a statement like this can be easily misinterpreted, as we've seen. An addendum, which includes only the facts, is much easier to control than a narrative. There some additional comments and questions that I would like to respond to, but I can't do that until later tonight.

** In the meantime, there is something of note that may make this decision a no-brainer (in the direction of not writing this statement). My target school is HLS, and my LSAT and GPA are both above 75th percentile for them (albeit barely on both). Harvard also happens to be one of the schools that only asks about convictions, meaning that I could fill out my entire application without ever mentioning this incident. Perhaps the fact that I am a shoe-in at HLS (at lease numbers wise) makes writing this statement all risk with very little potential for reward. I looked at this as a way to positively frame an incident that I was going to have to disclose anyway, but the fact that HLS wouldn't know about it otherwise seems to make that plan incoherent.

Please see my post about why disclosing this to a school like harvard is just stupid. You're trying to look at this as writing the best essay, which I concede this would prob be an amazing story if well written, but that's not what a PS should be. You need to view your app as a whole, using parts of it to feed off others and form a coherent image. For instance, I had some C+F issues myself that would have made a great PS, but instead I wrote a solid C+F addendum, then used my personal statement to discuss the challenges I've faced in doing high level community service. The other PS about overcoming my C+F would have been a better tale, but this presents a better complete image of me without being redundant.

Just don't write it, trust that with your stats you can ONLY hurt yourself. If not writing a PS at all was an option I'd say do that in this case lol

Tls2016

Silver
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Tls2016 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:46 pm

You absolutely need to delete all the personal information in your posts. You should have done it earlier.
In case you don't understand, adcomms read these forums and are able to match applicants with posts. You have made yourself easy to identify. This won't help you and could hurt you with schools where you aren't required to disclose.

User avatar
kellyfrost

Platinum
Posts: 6362
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby kellyfrost » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm just going to say that I would follow any and all advice that Mike Spivey gives.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catch20two

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby catch20two » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:10 pm

You absolutely need to delete all the personal information in your posts. You should have done it earlier.
In case you don't understand, adcomms read these forums and are able to match applicants with posts. You have made yourself easy to identify. This won't help you and could hurt you with schools where you aren't required to disclose.


I get this, and will delete it all. It's been up for all of 48 hours. It seems to me that there's no way a school I don't have to disclose to could connect this to me, and for those to which I do have to disclose, If they do connect this to me, I don't feel that I've said anything here that reflects poorly on me, or that they wont know after a cursory read of my addendum anyway. I will delete everything, just in case, but I think we're going a little overboard with the insistence that I delete everything immediately.

I'm just going to say that I would follow any and all advice that Mike Spivey gives.


I'm well aware of who Mike is, and I'm very appreciative that he has taken the time to share his thoughts. That said, I don't think anybody deserves to have their advice followed blindly. I don't see anything wrong with questioning his opinions, as well founded as they may be.
Last edited by catch20two on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaileyJohnson

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby BaileyJohnson » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Tls2016 wrote:You absolutely need to delete all the personal information in your posts. You should have done it earlier.
In case you don't understand, adcomms read these forums and are able to match applicants with posts. You have made yourself easy to identify. This won't help you and could hurt you with schools where you aren't required to disclose.


^ the sooner, the better.

Tls2016

Silver
Posts: 714
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby Tls2016 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:25 pm

catch20two wrote:
You absolutely need to delete all the personal information in your posts. You should have done it earlier.
In case you don't understand, adcomms read these forums and are able to match applicants with posts. You have made yourself easy to identify. This won't help you and could hurt you with schools where you aren't required to disclose.


I get this, and will delete it all. It's been up for all of 48 hours. It seems to me that there's no way a school I don't have to disclose to could connect this to me, and for those to which I do have to disclose, If they do connect this to me, I don't feel that I've said anything here that reflects poorly on me, or that they wont know after a cursory read of my addendum anyway. I will delete everything, just in case, but I think we're going a little overboard with the insistence that I delete everything immediately.

I'm just going to say that I would follow any and all advice that Mike Spivey gives.


I'm well aware of who Mike is, and I'm very appreciative that he has taken the time to share his thoughts. That said, I don't think anybody deserves to have their advice followed blindly. I don't see anything wrong with questioning his opinions, as well founded as they may be.


Do what you want OP. You are wrong but maybe you are counting on your numbers to save you. I'm not sure why you asked for advice, but it is your choice to not follow it.

catch20two

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby catch20two » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Do what you want OP. You are wrong but maybe you are counting on your numbers to save you.


There's nothing worse than somebody that thinks their opinions are objectively right. You're not really contributing in any meaningful way at this point, so feel free to leave the commenting to others.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: I was charged with a felony as a HS student. Is writing my PS on this experience a terrible idea?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Tls2016 wrote:You absolutely need to delete all the personal information in your posts. You should have done it earlier.
In case you don't understand, adcomms read these forums and are able to match applicants with posts. You have made yourself easy to identify. This won't help you and could hurt you with schools where you aren't required to disclose.

OP is not an applicant this cycle. I don't see what's so imprudent about him leaving his posts here for a few days while he collects advice.



Return to “Law School Personal Statements?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.