Personal Statement Critique Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Personal Statement Critique

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoopyPants

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement Critique

Post by PoopyPants » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:25 pm

I actually think this could be a good statement. However, I think you need to evaluate your use of the term "adversity." Being cut from the men's volleyball team is not adversity, and it almost made me stop reading.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:31 pm

PoopyPants wrote:I actually think this could be a good statement. However, I think you need to evaluate your use of the term "adversity." Being cut from the men's volleyball team is not adversity, and it almost made me stop reading.
I understand it's not "addicted to drugs" level of adversity, but it was still a tough time. I agree that it is a poor word choice though, so how should I re-phrase it? Maybe just say I felt defeated and it caused me to step outside my comfort zone instead?

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Last edited by gastronomy on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgm1990

New

Post by kgm1990 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:04 pm

I really liked it as a compelling story about the success of hard work and your ability to adapt to increased working loads! But I also think 'adversity' isn't quite right. Obstacle is great, and any other word that implies a challenge of some kind. But, as it is worded now, your perception of adversity sounds a little naive. It might be the Post World War II movies I've watched lately, but the way you start out felt very grand, and made me think that this was a story about about how people fade into the background and get lost in bureaucracy (i.e., Immigration, Prison, or some sort of Holocaust analogy).
If that's not anyone else's impression, then just ignore me! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoopyPants

Bronze

Post by PoopyPants » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I understand it's not "addicted to drugs" level of adversity, but it was still a tough time. I agree that it is a poor word choice though, so how should I re-phrase it? Maybe just say I felt defeated and it caused me to step outside my comfort zone instead?
Adversity is the cancer my wife's patients have to deal with at 2 or 3 years old. I think the bolded is perfect. Wording it that way will not make you seem sheltered, which is how you sound calling getting cut from a college sport adversity. You can see how that sounds super privileged. Saying it was an obstacle is reasonable.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:36 pm

I completely agree with the others. It's a really good personal statement, but is not adversity in any way, shape, or form. An obstacle or a setback is a far better way to describe it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”