Why Michigan prompt Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rose9729

New

Why Michigan prompt

Post by rose9729 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:39 pm

The actual prompt for the Why Michigan essay asks "what do you believe Michigan has to offer you and you to Michigan?" I'm wondering how much of this essay should focus on the latter part of this question?

Upon review of what I thought was my final draft, I realized my essay only explicitly addresses what I would contribute in a sentence or two. I have not seen much online discussion about this particular part of the prompt, so any guidance would be appreciated.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Why Michigan prompt

Post by lymenheimer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:46 pm

rose9729 wrote:The actual prompt for the Why Michigan essay asks "what do you believe Michigan has to offer you and you to Michigan?" I'm wondering how much of this essay should focus on the latter part of this question?

Upon review of what I thought was my final draft, I realized my essay only explicitly addresses what I would contribute in a sentence or two. I have not seen much online discussion about this particular part of the prompt, so any guidance would be appreciated.
I don't actually know...but I feel like you're overthinking it.

tvu

Bronze

Post removed...

Post by tvu » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by tvu on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rose9729

New

Re: Why Michigan prompt

Post by rose9729 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:53 am

Ok that makes sense. I do try to employ a "show not tell style" in my writing as much as possible, but I think I ended up employing this strategy more for the part about what I offer/why I'd be a good fit (plus it was interwoven with the "why michigan" parts). So my "why michigan" was just more explicitly written, and this made me want a second opinion about the readers' expectations.

However I do have a tendency to overthink in my final writing stages so I appreciate these responses--thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”