How Imp't is it to mention motivation for LS in PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
hopingtogo2016

New

How Imp't is it to mention motivation for LS in PS?

Post by hopingtogo2016 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:26 pm

How important is it to mention my motivation for going to law school in my personal statement? I want to go to law school because I would like to work in anti-corruption law after (DOJ, UN, NGOs). I do not have an extensive history in public service to reference or speak about how some experience in public service drives this interest or makes me want to serve people. Thus, I'm thinking of writing about my experience busking (street performing) as a violinist. It's different and would certainly be memorable. Does it matter that this is totally irrelevant to why I want to go? Would it be especially important to highlight how this experience shows I would be good at law school? Is the personal statement more of a 'let me tell you about things that make me interesting and compelling' or 'let me tell you about things that make me interesting and show that I will be good at law school'?

Thanks!

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Re: How Imp't is it to mention motivation for LS in PS?

Post by TheodoreKGB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Focus on being interesting and compelling. Why Law is not important, especially with no background to reinforce it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”