My life is boring - how to write a diversity statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

My life is boring - how to write a diversity statement?

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:28 pm

My background:

Immigrated to US from Korea at the age of 8.
Grew up (thru High School) in sub-urb of a major city (Portland, OR) - Not many Koreans here
My dad owned a restaurant to make a living, I helped out in High School
Attended a Public Univ. in California (UCLA) - Lots of Koreans here
Got a CPA License right out of college
Worked 5 years at Big 4, 2 years In-house.
Right now, 28 years old, aspiring to be a lawyer cuz accounting is a shitty profession.
Fluent in Korean and English.

This just looks like every other life story of an immigrant, my life is horrendously boring, my parents are happily married for 30+ years, never seen them abusing each other ever, and make a good living. I never experienced war, atrocities, poverty, or death (other than my grandparents, who both passed away from natural aging at the age of 80 and 92). My only encounters with the law enforcement were due to minor traffic violations. The only time I traveled outside was for family vacation to Thailand when I was 7 years old and I barely remember it. Other than that, I went to Mexico with my friends to kick and chill. Hardly anything worthy of life-changing. I play video games and hoops for fun, and sometimes go to club or bars to hit up chicks, but nothing like rare hobbies or interest.

My PS is about work experience, and MAYBE that's the most diverse aspect of myself, but I don't want to make my DS about work again, that's pointless.

Anyone with equally boring life that was able to write some half-way decent diversity statement willing to drop some tips, that'll be great.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: My life is boring - how to write a diversity statement?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:44 pm

You could just not write one?

A DS doesn't have to be a litany of adversities you've overcome. The more literal point of a DS is to show how you would bring diversity to a law school class. Being an immigrant would probably do that, even if it went completely smoothly and you had a seamless adjustment to the US - most American law students probably haven't had that experience.

But there's nothing that says you have to write a DS. If you really can't come up with anything you feel compelled to say, it probably won't make any difference to your application anyway.

dumdeedum

New

Re: My life is boring - how to write a diversity statement?

Post by dumdeedum » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:36 am

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”