PS for MA/PhD in Humanities swapping to JD? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ethersworn

New

PS for MA/PhD in Humanities swapping to JD?

Post by ethersworn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:11 pm

I am currently a humanities MA/PhD student at a top 20 university (top 5 for my field). I will be completing the MA portion this May and hope to leave the program for a JD. Though I have not formally broken ground on my PhD work (one must complete the MA before), my transcript still lists my sought degree as PhD. I have the following questions:

(1) should I specifically comment on the PhD side of the slash (I am not ‘quitting a PhD’ because technically I haven’t started, but I am also not exactly a regular MA student applying for law school) or should I simply say something like ‘upon completion of my MA this spring…’.

(2) what is the best way to address this career change in my PS? I also have a UK MPhil in literature on top of my MA, so I look pretty entrenched in the academic world. I (think) I am successfully demonstrating how my field prepares me well for legal analysis, and I can give sensible reasons for my career change (i.e. not whining about the job market), but is sensible enough? Can I make it without tear-jerking explanations for my swap?

I am applying to schools in the Southeast. My state school is low ranked nationally, but is (soon to be) the only law school in the state and dominates the market.

Stats:
LSAT PT average 167 (taking in December)
UGPA is 3.98
UK MPhil awarded with distinction (probably like 3.8 or higher? not entirely sure of conversion)
MA/PhD GPA is 3.95.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: PS for MA/PhD in Humanities swapping to JD?

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:57 pm

(1) should I specifically comment on the PhD side of the slash (I am not ‘quitting a PhD’ because technically I haven’t started, but I am also not exactly a regular MA student applying for law school) or should I simply say something like ‘upon completion of my MA this spring…’.
No. I don't think that it's worth addressing unless asked. If you actually had started your PhD portion, then it would be different, but it's fairly common to get out with a masters when you started in a PhD program.
(2) what is the best way to address this career change in my PS? I also have a UK MPhil in literature on top of my MA, so I look pretty entrenched in the academic world. I (think) I am successfully demonstrating how my field prepares me well for legal analysis, and I can give sensible reasons for my career change (i.e. not whining about the job market), but is sensible enough? Can I make it without tear-jerking explanations for my swap?
Be honest. With your stats and your background, you don't exactly need to explain away your decision to go to law school. Just write a decent PS that describes why you're a good candidate for law, and you should be fine.

I really think this is a big non-issue for your admissions chances.

banjo

Silver

Re: PS for MA/PhD in Humanities swapping to JD?

Post by banjo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:50 pm

It might be worth writing a short addendum to clear up inconsistencies between your transcript and your resume/PS.

As for your PS, keep it simple. Tell us who you are and why law school is the obvious next step. Sometimes grad students get weird and defensive about leaving academia, but everyone outside the bubble gets it. No need for a tortured justification.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”