Deleted Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
libertttarian

New

Deleted

Post by libertttarian » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Deleted
Last edited by libertttarian on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scalvert

Silver

Re: PS Draft - Anecdote too long, too "personal"? Come off as self-centered?

Post by Scalvert » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm not sure about this either. It feels almost like two essays that you tried to glue together in the middle. I liked the story about you and your dad, but when you started explaining your emotions after the fight, I think you did it through the eyes of an adult. I doubt you analyzed the situation in that manner at the age of four.

I would also say to make it sound more conversational. I felt like you were writing to impress rather than inform. I don't think you sounded self-centered, "unnatural" might be a better word. Maybe give it another go and write the latter half more as if you were telling these things to someone you were comfortable speaking to.

libertttarian

New

Re: PS Draft - Anecdote too long, too "personal"? Come off as self-centered?

Post by libertttarian » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Scalvert wrote:I'm not sure about this either. It feels almost like two essays that you tried to glue together in the middle. I liked the story about you and your dad, but when you started explaining your emotions after the fight, I think you did it through the eyes of an adult. I doubt you analyzed the situation in that manner at the age of four.

I would also say to make it sound more conversational. I felt like you were writing to impress rather than inform. I don't think you sounded self-centered, "unnatural" might be a better word. Maybe give it another go and write the latter half more as if you were telling these things to someone you were comfortable speaking to.

Yeah I was thinking something like that as well. Thanks man

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”