ADHD has anyone mentioned it in personal statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Pilloriedbrain

ADHD has anyone mentioned it in personal statement

Postby Pilloriedbrain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:29 pm

I'm wrapping up my college education which I took slowly, by-end-almost six years as a non-medicated adhd. I majored in psychology and paralegal studies. My GPA is an aberrant 3.2.. For people applying to law school that's low. I'm now taking medication for adhd and my god what a change. Now I wonder if in my personal statement I explain that I had not been medicated through college. And that my grades do not represent my true ability to apply myself and learn. In fact I work very hard. I may have retained more than regular schmucks who only studied 30 minutes before their college tests. I have no idea how they do it. So do you think law school will look on ADHD with mercy when deciding whether to admit me or not?

KMart

Re: ADHD has anyone mentioned it in personal statement

Postby KMart » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:05 am

You could write an addendum for your gpa being artificially low, but don't put it in a personal statement. I'm not sure how many people write an addendum for ADHD or if that's a good idea (I'm drunk and don't want to give bad advice), but certainly do not put it in the personal statement. An addendum is what your question should focus upon.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Re: ADHD has anyone mentioned it in personal statement

Postby Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 pm

To whom it may concern:

I hope all is well.

When reviewing an applicant’s application, law schools typically look at the totality of the circumstances, meaning your GPA is just one factor. Schools also look at your personal statement, extra curriculars, letters of recommendation, and your LSAT scores. In any personal statement, instead of solely focusing on hardships, maybe you can incorporate how you overcame hardships. For instance, if there is a life or personal family situation or problem, a student can illustrate how they overcame that problem. You still did do fairly well with a 3.2 GPA and keep in mind your GPA is just one factor in the admission process.

Best of luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”