Would a Why Law Statement be better than a Why X school?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
AlexandraHope

Would a Why Law Statement be better than a Why X school?

Postby AlexandraHope » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Or should I do both? What are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing one over the other?
As of now I'm applying to:

Georgetown,Emory,Vandy, Duke, UTK, Ole Miss, University of Memphis, and depending on my LSAT one or two others.

Auxilio

Re: Would a Why Law Statement be better than a Why X school?

Postby Auxilio » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm

These are very different things. A Why Law (which I guess you would include in your personal statement or something, would make no real sense as a discrete essay) would show why you are interested in going to a law school. Why X shows why that specific school should risk taking a hit to matriculating percentage/tie up scholarship money to give you an offer. UVA is not waitlisting the 3.9/173 because they do no think they will attend a law school, but because they are afraid they will attend a better law school than UVA. Same idea for most schools.

The only time a Why Law could make any sense as a 'replacement' for Why X is if it was clearly detailing what type of law you want to go into and that ties into the school (i.e., government or something and UVA).

Honestly this sounds to me like you are trying to avoid writing lots of separate Why X and looking for (an illogical) way of avoiding the work.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:45 pm

absolutely not.

AlexandraHope

Postby AlexandraHope » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Auxilio wrote:These are very different things. A Why Law (which I guess you would include in your personal statement or something, would make no real sense as a discrete essay) would show why you are interested in going to a law school. Why X shows why that specific school should risk taking a hit to matriculating percentage/tie up scholarship money to give you an offer. UVA is not waitlisting the 3.9/173 because they do no think they will attend a law school, but because they are afraid they will attend a better law school than UVA. Same idea for most schools.

The only time a Why Law could make any sense as a 'replacement' for Why X is if it was clearly detailing what type of law you want to go into and that ties into the school (i.e., government or something and UVA).

Honestly this sounds to me like you are trying to avoid writing lots of separate Why X and looking for (an illogical) way of avoiding the work.

That's not what it is at all! I'm sorry if it seemed this way

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”