Everybody read.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
NigeranOU

Everybody read.

Postby NigeranOU » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:23 am

My topic is about how I was abused as a child and how allocating my energies into my education delivered me through my situation. After that, I'm tying in my desire to be a child advocate lawyer because I myself always wanted someone to speak up for me. I'm looking for general advice for writing it. I have a very rough draft. I already know not to make it like I have anger or resentment towards my parents (even though I do) I am reiterating throughout it how I am not a victim nor is anyone of their circumstances. I need help though like just thoughts. i want as many replies as possible.

lawman84

Re: Everybody read.

Postby lawman84 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:06 am

Here's what has worked well for me on personal statements:
1. Set the tone in your first paragraph. Introduce your overarching theme and give a brief opening on why you are attracted to law school. You'll develop this more later so don't feel obligated to explain too much. The point of that first paragraph is to let the reader know immediately the overall point you're going to make and the direction you will take them in your personal statement.

2. Organize it logically. I can't stress this enough. Find a way to organize it that makes sense. You don't want to be jumping around. My personal statement was in narrative form so I organized it chronologically. For you, that might be starting with the abuse and the effect it had on your life.(obviously, do your best to state it neutrally without anger or resentment) Then move through your life from there to illustrate how you've grown and how that difficulty pushed you to succeed in high school and college (and in things outside of academics if you have anything worth mentioning). Once you've set the table, you end the body of your personal statement by tying that abuse and your growth as a person into why you desire to go to law school and help people. That's just one way of doing it. You might have a better way. I don't know your life experiences so I can only make general suggestions.

3. After you've completed your body, finish with a conclusion restating why you want to go to law school. I also try to customize my last paragraph to the specific schools. I do a little bit of research and mention things they offer that appeal to me and my goals that also tie into the narrative I told. Generally, my last sentence stresses that they offer the right environment for me to be a successful student and attorney with the hard work that I will put in.(something more polished than that...but stressing that I want to be successful but I also will work for it...as I feel like just saying that I will be successful at their school almost comes off as entitled and arrogant)

This has been what worked for me. Others might offer very different advice. And you might find their advice to be better for your personal statement.

And obviously, make sure you edit and polish it as best you can and then have someone else read it over. The most important thing your personal statement can convey is that you can write effectively (clear, concise, well organized, no grammatical and spelling errors, etc.).

NigeranOU

Postby NigeranOU » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:16 am

lawman84 wrote:Here's what has worked well for me on personal statements:
1. Set the tone in your first paragraph. Introduce your overarching theme and give a brief opening on why you are attracted to law school. You'll develop this more later so don't feel obligated to explain too much. The point of that first paragraph is to let the reader know immediately the overall point you're going to make and the direction you will take them in your personal statement.

2. Organize it logically. I can't stress this enough. Find a way to organize it that makes sense. You don't want to be jumping around. My personal statement was in narrative form so I organized it chronologically. For you, that might be starting with the abuse and the effect it had on your life.(obviously, do your best to state it neutrally without anger or resentment) Then move through your life from there to illustrate how you've grown and how that difficulty pushed you to succeed in high school and college (and in things outside of academics if you have anything worth mentioning). Once you've set the table, you end the body of your personal statement by tying that abuse and your growth as a person into why you desire to go to law school and help people. That's just one way of doing it. You might have a better way. I don't know your life experiences so I can only make general suggestions.

3. After you've completed your body, finish with a conclusion restating why you want to go to law school. I also try to customize my last paragraph to the specific schools. I do a little bit of research and mention things they offer that appeal to me and my goals that also tie into the narrative I told. Generally, my last sentence stresses that they offer the right environment for me to be a successful student and attorney with the hard work that I will put in.(something more polished than that...but stressing that I want to be successful but I also will work for it...as I feel like just saying that I will be successful at their school almost comes off as entitled and arrogant)

This has been what worked for me. Others might offer very different advice. And you might find their advice to be better for your personal statement.

And obviously, make sure you edit and polish it as best you can and then have someone else read it over. The most important thing your personal statement can convey is that you can write effectively (clear, concise, well organized, no grammatical and spelling errors, etc.).

what schools did you get in to?

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:14 am

NigeranOU wrote:what schools did you get in to?

Mainly T1 schools. But I knew that was likely my ceiling with my stats.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”