Subpar LSAT score and LOCI

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cafecreme15

Subpar LSAT score and LOCI

Postby cafecreme15 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the proper forum (maybe better suited for ADW?), but I'll ask anyway. I've been waitlisted at a handful of schools that I would really love to be able to attend if given the opportunity (Penn, Columbia, Georgetown, UVA). I am planning on submitting LOCI's to these schools in mid-April. I already know I should update them on additional awards/honors/events, as well as explain why I would be a good fit, etc. I think I can say with a fairly high degree of certainty that I was wait-listed because of my subpar LSAT score, which is well below medians for all of these schools (feel free to PM for an exact score). I have good softs and a very strong GPA, so I am thinking that my LSAT score provides the best explanation for these decisions. My question is, is it worth it to try to explain my lackluster performance on this test in my LOCI? Or just let it go and focus on the other two topics, since my score wasn't enough to take me out of the running for admission all together (at least that's how I'm reading a waitlist decision vs. a rejection). Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

lawschool1741

Re: Subpar LSAT score and LOCI

Postby lawschool1741 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:33 pm

I would let it go unless you have a seriously legitimate mitigating reason for the poor performance (ex: the proctor broke your eye glasses). At this point, the score is what it is and you will be better served highlighting the good rather than rehashing the bad.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:47 pm

You should retake the LSAT. You can even retake it in June to improve your chances of getting of waitlists.

cafecreme15

Postby cafecreme15 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:22 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:I would let it go unless you have a seriously legitimate mitigating reason for the poor performance (ex: the proctor broke your eye glasses). At this point, the score is what it is and you will be better served highlighting the good rather than rehashing the bad.

Thanks, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm torn because I feel like I should acknowledge it somehow, even if it's just by saying something along the lines of hoping my other accomplishments can help offset the score (so not giving an explanation), or ignoring it completely.

cafecreme15

Postby cafecreme15 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Mullens wrote:You should retake the LSAT. You can even retake it in June to improve your chances of getting of waitlists.

Unfortunately, retaking isn't in the cards for me right now. I already took it twice in the past year, in September and December, and just had two really bad test days. Because I'm graduating from undergrad in May and have an extremely hectic schedule leading up to that, I wouldn't have time to properly prep for the June LSAT. But I really appreciate your suggestion!

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:57 pm

cafecreme15 wrote:
lawschool1741 wrote:I would let it go unless you have a seriously legitimate mitigating reason for the poor performance (ex: the proctor broke your eye glasses). At this point, the score is what it is and you will be better served highlighting the good rather than rehashing the bad.

Thanks, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm torn because I feel like I should acknowledge it somehow, even if it's just by saying something along the lines of hoping my other accomplishments can help offset the score (so not giving an explanation), or ignoring it completely.

I know it seems like something you want to address, but you shouldn't. There really isn't anything you can say to get adcomms to look at your LSAT/GPA any differently. Just focus on your accomplishments and how much you love these respective schools.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:50 am

No one will care about your explanation for your performance. I would highlight other things.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”