Disclosing Disorder on Law School Applications Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lbalestrieri

New

Disclosing Disorder on Law School Applications

Post by lbalestrieri » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Long story short, I consider my application fairly weak. I received a 157 on my first LSAT attempt in December and retook in February hoping to score closer to my PTs which were around 162. My GPA is fairly low at 3.169. I struggled in the beginning of my undergraduate career, but improved and got mostly A's and AB's in my major classes the last year and a half. This is because I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder during the middle of my undergrad and got on medication that stabilized me. I am currently very stable and don't consider my disability debilitating at this point due to my medication.

My question is whether or not I should disclose my disability on my application. I feel I have a few options to do this - I could address it in my personal statement and consider it overcoming an adverse situation and address how overcoming this makes me a strong candidate because of what I've learned and how hard I had to work. I could include a diversity statement regarding my disability. I could include an addendum offering an explanation of my weak grades in the beginning of my undergrad. Or I could not address it at all in my application.

I realize there is still a stigma around mental health, and I'm a little nervous that disclosing my disability could negatively impact my chances of admissions, even though legally I don't believe they can discriminate. On the other hand I feel disclosing it would help them understand me and my weak GPA.

I would really appreciate any advice or feedback regarding this.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”