Potential low GPA addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Potential low GPA addendum

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Here is a rough draft of a potential addendum for my low GPA. Do you think the content is suitable for an addendum? Is this pushing towards the realm of a personal statement? This would be coupled with the personal statement in the forum "Environment Law specific personal statement". And again, many thanks in advance for reading and responding.

It is evident that my grade point average is well below XXX law school median grade point average score. While I realize that an explanation of my grades does not excuse my lack of academic rigor, I hope that what follows will at least partially show that my grades will not be indicative of my future performance at XXX law school.

My total undergraduate grade point average is 2.4 but the grade point average for my majors is 2.9. Even though that number is still very low, it demonstrates that the classes I was most passionate about were the classes where my performance was the highest. Now, furthermore, there were two distinct instances where my semester grade point average was substantially lower than the rest of my grades. Factoring out these two semesters, my total grade point average is 3.0.

The two poor semesters were the valleys of my overall low grades which stemmed from immaturity, a lack of appreciation for my fortunate situation and an absence of the importance of not only good grades but also education in general. I was lucky enough to have my college paid in full by my parents. I was blind to the amount of effort it took on their part to put me through college. I looked at my undergraduate education as just the next step in life, oblivious to its significance.

Since graduating I have pursed many different career paths, from starting my own business to enlisting in the military as a Navy Seal candidate. Needless to say, the harsh realities of life beyond an all-expenses paid trip to college have quickly sharpened my goals and motivations. Law school will not be the same story. Without my parents’ assistance, I will be tackling the costs of law school alone. Law school is not just the next step for me; it is something, I am certain, will become a passion of mine. I am completely enthralled by argumentation, logic, reading and writing. Coupling these passions with my public interest avocations, law school will not be a means to an end but an end in and of itself. I hope you can look past my poor grades and use my LSAT score as a more accurate predictor of my performance at XXX law school.

I am not entirely sure if I will use the last sentence or replace it with something else.

swampman

Bronze

Re: Potential low GPA addendum

Post by swampman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:.

It is evident that my grade point average is well below XXX law school median grade point average score. While I realize that an explanation of my grades does not excuse my lack of academic rigor, I hope that what follows will at least partially showthat my grades will not be indicative of my future performance at XXX law school.

My total undergraduate grade point average is 2.4 but the grade point average for my majors is 2.9. Even though that number is still very low, it demonstrates that the classes I was most passionate about were the classes where my performance was the highest. Now, furthermore, there were two distinct instances where my semester grade point average was substantially lower than the rest of my grades. Factoring out these two semesters, my total grade point average is 3.0. [Unless you have a specific reason, eg family illness, why these are lower, no reason to exclude them]

The two poor semesters were the valleys of my overall low grades which stemmed from immaturity and a lack of appreciation for my fortunate situation and an absence of the importance of not only good grades but also education in general. I was lucky enough to have my college paid in full by my parents. I was blind to the amount of effort it took on their part to put me through college. I looked at my undergraduate education as just the next step in life, oblivious to its significance.

Since graduating I have pursed many different career paths, from starting my own business to enlisting in the military as a Navy Seal candidate. Needless to say, the harsh realities of life beyond an all-expenses paid trip to college have quickly sharpened my goals and motivations. Law school will not be the same story. Without my parents’ assistance, I will be tackling the costs of law school alone. Law school is not just the next step for me; it is something, I am certain, will become a passion of mine. I am completely enthralled by argumentation, logic, reading and writing. Coupling these passions with my public interest avocations, law school will not be a means to an end but an end in and of itself. I hope you can look past my poor grades and use my significant life experiences and LSAT score as a more accurate predictor of my performance at XXX law school.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm

I wouldn't submit this. You're saying, "my grades are terrible, even my best semesters were still pretty mediocre, I have absolutely no excuse for any of this, and I've tried different things and haven't stuck with any of them, but you should believe me when I say that this time will be different without any evidence whatsoever to support that assertion."

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Way too much space basically saying "my grades sucked, but if you take out the two semesters where my grade particularly sucked, my GPA would still be far below your 25th percentile, so you should consider me".

I had a similar uGPA and wrote about a half page addendum. Don't even try to make an excuse for grades far below everyone else applying. Just use the space to give the admissions committee a reason to focus more on what you've accomplished since school.

Distance yourself from the GPA, don't try to excuse it.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 pm

from starting my own business to enlisting in the military as a Navy Seal candidate
Ring the bell at BUD/S?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UOI4430

Bronze

Post by UOI4430 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:
from starting my own business to enlisting in the military as a Navy Seal candidate
Ring the bell at BUD/S?
I was wondering the same thing. It's probably not a great idea to say that you tried out for the "A team" but didn't make the cut.

You have my respect for the effort though.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:37 am

Don't even think about sending this in any form whatsoever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:36 am

No, I didn't ring the bell. I was medically disqualified at MEPS so I was unable to join any branch of service. I did, however, spend an enormous amount of time preparing for the Navy beforehand and appealing my dq afterwards. Thank you all for the advice. I will not send this in!

I accidently created a new forum while replying. I do not know how to delete it. My apologies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”