University of Florida Diversity Statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
nv93

University of Florida Diversity Statement?

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Does anyone have an opinion if it's worth doing one? They say its optional and it's up to applicants, but I want to give myself the best chance to get into my number one option. Due to life altering circumstances, UF is probably my best bet since it's really cheap and decently ranked.

sublime

Re: University of Florida Diversity Statement?

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:10 pm

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:12 pm

sublime wrote:Well, are you actually diverse?

nv93

Postby nv93 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:23 pm

sublime wrote:Well, are you actually diverse?

Depends on how you define diverse? Work, race, and extra curricular activities? Then, yes.

Honorable Mention Southern Model United Nations, volunteer safety patrol at my place of worship, founding member of my Model United Nations team at my university (came up with the name for it mainly), honors student, worked for a Lemon Law Litigation Firm for a semester as an undergrad in 2014, member of my school's honors college, worked at Best Buy, manage my parents' store, guest spoke to high school students about applying for scholarships, worked in an admissions office, etc.

As for race, I am an Asian person, so I would hope that makes me diverse lol.

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:31 am

Asian is not diverse. Anything that would be considered URM is diverse.

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:59 pm

I have to agree ^^^. Diversity Statements are generally speaking only useful for URMs, and you are not a URM.

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm

NonTradLawHopeful wrote:Asian is not diverse. Anything that would be considered URM is diverse.

This is bad advice. diversity statements are most useful for someone who can add diversity to a law school class and isn't a URM. Honestly, if you are URM, a diversity statement is probably not that useful. Asian Americans or LGBT students, for example, are absolutely diverse.

NonTradLawHopeful

Postby NonTradLawHopeful » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Jay2716 wrote:
NonTradLawHopeful wrote:Asian is not diverse. Anything that would be considered URM is diverse.

This is bad advice. diversity statements are most useful for someone who can add diversity to a law school class and isn't a URM. Honestly, if you are URM, a diversity statement is probably not that useful. Asian Americans or LGBT students, for example, are absolutely diverse.

I was only referring to race. From an exlusively racial diversity standpoint, the only ones worth a statement is URM, unless you immigrated to the states. If you were born in the US, there is nothing diverse about being Asian American.

I do agree about LBGT, and I would add if you grew up in an adopted family, things like that. Unique aspects of your life that would bring a different perspective to school than the rest of the class.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”