Please be brutally honest about this GPA addendum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Please be brutally honest about this GPA addendum

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:29 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryLundegard

Re: Please be brutally honest about this GPA addendum

Postby JerryLundegard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:16 am

Look.. Regardless of whether you do in fact have severe ADHD this sounds like a poster child post for someone who was unable to get motivated/ was incredibly lazy in college and then discovered the magic of adderall. You're basically saying I can probably be successful at to school unless something happens to my amphetamine script in which case I'll finish in the bottom half of the class.

Also, I hope this is not your final draft because this is riddled with grammatical mistakes that is eerily reminiscent of someone typing on Addies.

Look, if it's well documented that you have a learning disorder and your grades clearly come up because of this detection then that's one thing.. But your addendum sounds like the frat bro who starts taking adderall for everything and then suddenly needs it to get any work done. So he gets a script after memorizing and regurgitating the ADHD symptoms to a weak doctor. I had a friend who wanted them did all of that and then convinced himself(after previously admitting he had nothing wrong with him) that he did in fact have a learning disability and needed his medication.

Again, I'm gojng to assume your case is legitimate but the addendum sounds fishy at best and I don't think it will help you. Adcoms will make the leap that you were getting them recreationally from a teammate and then got a script just like I described above.

Hope I wasn't overly harsh. Good luck

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:06 am

Even if we do accept that you had ADHD and it affected you, you have no evidence of an improvement, only speculation. Not very convincing and probably won't help at all.

mindthegap

Postby mindthegap » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:24 am

As someone with diagnosed both learning and physical disabilities, I'm going to be a less cynical than other posters and say that what you've written could definitely be used as a solid foundation for a much better essay. I suppose if I were reading this from an AdCom's POV, I'd want to know a few things:

- Why was your performance between high school and college so radically different? The achievement gap sounds too drastic to be explained away by you simply having received a formal diagnosis. Yes, you mentioned the lack of sleep and difficulty adjusting to a new environment; however, saying that the "small unofficial accommodations" that you received in HS were enough to help you get by seems inconsistent with the massive struggles that you describe at a collegiate level.

- Truthfully, it does sound a bit like you're using your ADHD as a clutch. I totally understand that it's a genuine LD and should be treated as such; however, there are millions of people with diagnosed ADHD who have been able to perform at extremely high levels without medication or other forms of treatment - and many more that have benefited from such accommodations. Why are you different from them? How is your story unique?

- The football anecdote seems out of place in your essay. It's a great achievement to have been able to walk on to your university's team but a more skeptical person might point out that someone with severe ADHD might struggle with the focus and memory recall required in running football drills/learning plays - maybe even as much as he might struggle in school. I'd personally take that part out and focus instead on how you've been getting your LD under control and the positive upward trend that you've experienced as a student.

- If anything, I'd try to relate your disability more to what you can contribute to a law school setting. You focused a lot on what it prevented you from doing and not on what you can do and will do if admitted as a student.

Good luck.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:06 pm

It's impossible to quantify how well these addendums work. I think yours comes off as rather contrived. In any event..

The one concrete way to make this a (slightly) better addendum is to improve it grammatically.

Sentence 1: lackluster = one word
2: very wordy - how many verbs can you squeeze in one sentence?
3: cliché - might literally be word for word from the gpa addendum prompt
4: you're missing at least 2 commas here
5: swing and a miss with the semi-colon. "so much that..." is a fragment and cannot stand by itself, even with a semi-colon preceding it.
etc. etc. etc.

I think for ANY addendum to be effective, it has to be written well. If you have a 2.7 and you write a gpa addendum, you want an admissions officer to see your writing and say: "This is good; this cannot have been written by a 2.7 student." To be brutally honest, your addendum sounds like it was written by a 2.7 student. If you're going to use this, edit it, have it proofread, repeat. Same goes for anything else you submit.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:18 pm

retake

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:20 pm

the short answer is that you should not apply to LS until after you graduate and take a gap year. Two intersession grades are almost meaningless to support your case. (they are generally graded very leniently.)

You need a full senior year of A's to demonstrate your capability.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:21 pm

A sincere thanks to all thos who have offered a word of advice. I understand the overall cynical outlook on ADHD but the issue wasnt so much having it....like you all said millions have it.....it was not having any idea I had ADHD until my senior year of college. The reason I performed so much better in highschool is because I come from a small school district/town where all of my teachers were more than happy to offer me extra time on an exam, or allow me to get up and walk around. Not to mention my mother was a teacher so anytime I stepped out of line she immediately caught wind of it and fixed it. This is exactly why Im posting here though, for you all to ask the questions I dont want adcoms asking. So how do I sell this (whether you consider it a true issue or not) so that I encompass and address these legitimate concerns?
1. Is the football thing to much?
2. What if anything should I add from my above elaboration
3. For the record I didnt get diagnosed from some family doc. I had underwent extreme nonbiased testing that didnt even offer one of the rediculous questionaires.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:40 pm

After one quick read through:

It rambles.

It's about 4 times too long for it's content.

Lackluster is one word.

Winter break has no capital letters.

Some longer compound sentences are missing commas.

Not very convincing at this point considering classes over winter break can be less challenging than regular classes.

Needs work.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:55 pm

OP. Law school admissions is almost solely concerned with your GPA/LSAT. Since your GPA doesn't have time to improve, you need to score well on the LSAT. This addendum is unnecessary because schools will really only consider catastrophic events when it comes to a low GPA. And even then, catastrophic events will negatively affect a GPA for two semesters at most--not three years.

Kill the LSAT. Profit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:57 pm

Total Litigator wrote:After one quick read through:

It rambles.

Lackluster is one word.

Not very convincing at this point considering classes over winter break can be less challenging than regular classes.

Needs work.

thanks for your help. From now on please note I am not concerned with grammar. I will take care of grammar I am primarily concerned with the content of it. That being said I though it rambled as well I just dont know what to cut out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Total Litigator wrote:After one quick read through:

It rambles.

Lackluster is one word.

Needs work.

thanks for your help. From now on please note I am not concerned with grammar. I will take care of grammar I am primarily concerned with the content of it. That being said I though it rambled as well I just dont know what to cut out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:59 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:OP. Law school admissions is almost solely concerned with your GPA/LSAT. Since your GPA doesn't have time to improve, you need to score well on the LSAT. This addendum is unnecessary because schools will really only consider catastrophic events when it comes to a low GPA. And even then, catastrophic events will negatively affect a GPA for two semesters at most--not three years.

Kill the LSAT. Profit.

I did pretty well lsat wise. I will be retaking because I know I can get 4-5 points higher but I do want every part of my apps to be as good as possible sooo lets co tinue with critique

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:OP. Law school admissions is almost solely concerned with your GPA/LSAT. Since your GPA doesn't have time to improve, you need to score well on the LSAT. This addendum is unnecessary because schools will really only consider catastrophic events when it comes to a low GPA. And even then, catastrophic events will negatively affect a GPA for two semesters at most--not three years.

Kill the LSAT. Profit.

I did pretty well lsat wise. I will be retaking because I know I can get 4-5 points higher but I do want every part of my apps to be as good as possible sooo lets co tinue with critique

My critique: Don't submit an addendum. You have nothing worth addenduming, therefore this is just a waste of everyone's collective time.

P.S. Glad you did well on the LSAT! That should negate your GPA. Especially happy that you're retaking. You're good--don't need this addendum.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”