(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:25 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 am, edited 7 times in total.

starry eyed

Re: Read me cuz reasons. Trying to spin a difficult topic.

Postby starry eyed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:43 am

Assuming this s not a flame, I would leave out any mention of marijuana. For T2's, personal statements don't carry a whole lot of weight but mentioning that you are a pot farmer might cause you to underperform your numbers. There's too much going on. Pick a story and talk about how it shaped you in relation to being a good candidate for law school (show don't tell).
Last edited by starry eyed on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:59 am

Thank you for your suggestions!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:10 am

A PS doesn't have to be your most recent venture (pot growing). You can look back to college for an experience you had. What are some of your other experiences. Others may disagree and say your topic is ok, but imo, it is tooo risky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

which part did you think was trollage?

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

It's clear that you have an interesting life story, but I don't like how you've portrayed yourself. It's fine to be informal and tongue-in-cheek in other circumstances; just not in a personal statement. What happened is that you end up selling yourself short and making the reader believe that you lack confidence and perhaps aren't even sure that law is for you. Do not mention your performance on the LSAT, your performance last cycle, or anything that might draw attention to the fact that you've been rejected in the past.

Instead, work on selling yourself and showing Ad Comms who you are as a person. What are some significant life experiences that you've had? How did you handle them? Did you face a challenge growing up or in/after college that led you to where you are today? Did you have a special moment where you decided you wanted to go to law school? I can tell that you have had life experiences that have shaped you and will interest the reader - now you just need to figure out which one you most want Ad Comms to know.

hillz

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:which part did you think was trollage?

Well, I'm guessing he said that because it's written in a super casual way and is a little all over the place. And you don't hear about many applicants writing about being marijuana farmers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:30 am

Also yes. There are not many of us around yet in the legal sphere and even fewer are trying to go to grad school instead of milking the golden teat of regulatory ignorance. Fair enough. I think I'm going to just delete this thing and mark it up to a bad job. Thanks for the input!

A. Nony Mouse

Re: .

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 am

I didn't read the PS, but I do kind of think that if you are going to apply to law school as a MJ farmer, and you want to continue in the field after law school, there's a lot to be said for confronting it head on in the PS - it's likely to be the elephant in the room of your application. But I don't know what the execution in this one looked like, of course. And if you're trying to make a change and do nothing at all pot-related after law school, then maybe I would pick a different PS (unless you want to explain that change, maybe).

hillz

Re: .

Postby hillz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:30 am

I agree with Nony and wasn't bothered by the MJ talk. It was the structure of the essay, tone, and the lack of confidence.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”