Legit diversity statement topic?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Legit diversity statement topic?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Thinking about writing a diversity statement but I'm not sure. Anyways this is where I'm going with it. I grew up as the oldest of 6 siblings. My father works in another country and he only comes homes maybe 1 or 2 days a month (this has been going on my whole life) as a result I've had to take on a fatherly role helping my mom rise my siblings (mostly the youngest three) and choose to go to community college and an undergrad close to home so I can live at home and help her.

That's what I got so far. I'm white but I think this makes me diverse but is it worth writing about??

anonid

Re: Legit diversity statement topic?

Postby anonid » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:48 pm

This seems like a 'read the prompts' case. Some school ask for really open-ended diversity statements that include life-experience, ideology etc. I would give it a try with them if you think you need the extra bump.

Better question though: Why can't you just write a PS about this? No cute stories or lessons learned bringing up babies? Feel like community college should go in the 'excuses' section of the app? Have something way cooler to write about?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:07 pm

anonid wrote:This seems like a 'read the prompts' case. Some school ask for really open-ended diversity statements that include life-experience, ideology etc. I would give it a try with them if you think you need the extra bump.

Better question though: Why can't you just write a PS about this? No cute stories or lessons learned bringing up babies? Feel like community college should go in the 'excuses' section of the app? Have something way cooler to write about?

Well I guess the thing is I can't really find a way to turn this topic into why I'm interested in going to law school. I think my PS is better at answering a question like that. I guess the direction I was going to go with this diversity statement was how I believe helping to raise 5 kids gives me a unique perspective in dealing with conflict between very different people. How to mediate and picking which battles to fight. Anyway I'm meeting with some people in real life who have experience helping people draft PS and DE for law school. Just thought I'd put a post here

JustDuke

Postby JustDuke » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Topic seems OK. Go with the prompts

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”