Somewhat of a diversity statement... Please read?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Somewhat of a diversity statement... Please read?

Postby LadyProspero » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:51 pm

I've written (somewhat) of a diversity statement, though I'm not sure it qualifies. I'm trying to focus on socioeconomic diversity, since I'm not a URM. Trying to make a meaningful diversity statement but not sure it's coming through properly... I really wanted to highlight how I overcame diversity/adversity, but not sure I painted it in the right light for it to be considered a "diversity statement..." I'm also not sure if the paragraphs really flow together, or if it seems like I'm jumping around.

Also, it's just shy of a page and a half typed, so I may need to shorten it... Generally speaking, I think diversity statements are supposed to be closer to one page.

Anywho, I would be grateful for anyone willing to take a look! And I'm definitely down to do the same for you! :mrgreen:

Diversity statement listed below.
Last edited by LadyProspero on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Somewhat of a diversity statement... Please read?

Postby Nebby » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:17 am

As a fellow child of poor rural America, I congratulate you on making it out. However, I think socioeconomic diversity is not what law school's are looking for in a "diversity" statement. Your experiences are important, however, and I think they would be better served as a personal statement, since overcoming adversity and accomplishing all you have is what has made you who you are today.

Re: Somewhat of a diversity statement... Please read?

Postby JustDuke » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:50 pm

It reads like "whine whine whine", then some more whine, then taking a steamy dump on all your family (justifiably so, but still), and in the end some bragging. Not a preffered nomenclature as Walter Sobchak would say.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”