Should I try to submit this diversity statement? I'm white.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
rinkrat19

Re: Should I try to submit this diversity statement? I'm white.

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
coffee4closers wrote:What does law school admissions "diversity" mean then?

non-URMs who didn't take for granted the opportunities their family provided (family, not skin color) and excelling/building upon those foundations.

No, here's how it works: You start with an oppressor-oppressed dichotomy and categorize every person into one of these two groups. As a white person, you are prima facie an oppressor just like URMs are prima facie oppressed. If you choose to submit a diversity statement, your job is to convince them that you have been miscategorized, i.e., that you've been dealt a bad hand in life, need help in achieving your goal of being admitted to their law school, and thus deserve to outperform your numbers.

Saying "I come from a group of especially successful white people" is definitely not what you want to do. You'll just be seen as especially privileged.

You and OP deserve each other.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:46 pm

coffee4closers wrote:I exude virtues from a culture that is ambitious and never satisfied to be content; I don't see this in most of America's white and non-white cultures.

hahaha

people are gonna say you shot your load too soon but this was a great 1-2 punch, well done OP

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:46 pm

I don't agree that a diversity statement has to be literally about overcoming adversity - it just has to be something that would lead you actually to contribute diversity to a law school class. I think someone could write an interesting diversity statement about, say, growing up in a yurt in Mongolia, or being a Broadway performer as a child. Being brought up by parents with a strong work ethic who encourage you to excel and never settle is not adding diversity.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't agree that a diversity statement has to be literally about overcoming adversity - it just has to be something that would lead you actually to contribute diversity to a law school class. I think someone could write an interesting diversity statement about, say, growing up in a yurt in Mongolia, or being a Broadway performer as a child. Being brought up by parents with a strong work ethic who encourage you to excel and never settle is not adding diversity.

Exactly. And those examples for instance are unique for law school, which is the whole point. Just like if you were applying to Juilliard and if they gave you an option to write a diversity statement and you wrote about being a Broadway performer as a child, that would not be diverse for their applicant pool.

coffee4closers

Postby coffee4closers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Dude, I totally disagree. There are lots and lots of ambitious people going to law school from a whole variety of ethnicities. You could substitute a whole slew of other ethnicities for Italian-American in that statement and it would still hold true. There really isn't anything connecting you to anything specifically Italian apart from the cannolis (as someone already said). And there are a LOT of potential reasons for why the Italian-American experience was different from that of other ethnicities that don't result from some kind of Italian work ethic.

Thank you for a real reply. First post that make me question what I've written. I just disagree that you can substitute any ethnicity. The only things my parents have actually spent their money on for our family is traveling around the United States, as well as most of the world. Besides being a salesman one summer and meeting people from all walks of life, I've been to a variety of other countries and cultures and none impressed on me the Italian-American community I grew up with in America except for Japan and parts of China.

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:01 am

Giving a shoutout to the far east. You're growing on me, OP

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:02 am

Then actually describe that community and what's unique about it. Seriously, none of the things you describe - "the importance of doing things for myself" and "I would come home with A- and be questioned on why it wasn’t an A+. For sports it was give it 100% effort or don’t play. Beginning at age 15 I always held a job because I could never get the $20 from my parents for the movies or filling my gas tank. Many times I was infuriated pointing out how much better I was doing in school than my friends, and my high level involvement in clubs, scouts, and church. The response I always got was “We’re not worried about your friends, we’re worried about you.”" - nothing about this reads as specifically Italian, as opposed to high-achieving generally.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:02 am

uh is no one going to mention that italians are in fact stereotypically lazy

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 am

watch your mouth, capisce?

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 am

Lol @ the whole "I was a pro Cub Scout!" blurb. Nobody gives a shit.

ETA: How about this. Aside from anecdotal, ethnocentric pride, why not include some statistics or research that shows Italian-Americans are so much more hardworking than WASPs?
Last edited by encore1101 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 am

coffee4closers wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Dude, I totally disagree. There are lots and lots of ambitious people going to law school from a whole variety of ethnicities. You could substitute a whole slew of other ethnicities for Italian-American in that statement and it would still hold true. There really isn't anything connecting you to anything specifically Italian apart from the cannolis (as someone already said). And there are a LOT of potential reasons for why the Italian-American experience was different from that of other ethnicities that don't result from some kind of Italian work ethic.

Thank you for a real reply. First post that make me question what I've written. I just disagree that you can substitute any ethnicity. The only things my parents have actually spent their money on for our family is traveling around the United States, as well as most of the world. Besides being a salesman one summer and meeting people from all walks of life, I've been to a variety of other countries and cultures and none impressed on me the Italian-American community I grew up with in America except for Japan and parts of China.

That last sentence doesn't even make sense. Japan and China impressed your I-A community on you? What?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Then actually describe that community and what's unique about it. Seriously, none of the things you describe - "the importance of doing things for myself" and "I would come home with A- and be questioned on why it wasn’t an A+. For sports it was give it 100% effort or don’t play. Beginning at age 15 I always held a job because I could never get the $20 from my parents for the movies or filling my gas tank. Many times I was infuriated pointing out how much better I was doing in school than my friends, and my high level involvement in clubs, scouts, and church. The response I always got was “We’re not worried about your friends, we’re worried about you.”" - nothing about this reads as specifically Italian, as opposed to high-achieving generally.

And definitely not unique among law-school applicants, who are largely high-achieving striver prestige whores (at least at good law schools).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:09 am

fats provolone wrote:uh is no one going to mention that italians are in fact stereotypically lazy

TBH, I was thinking of the Jersey guido stereotype myself.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:11 am

I propose a test for white diversity statements: 1) Are you a minority, or 2) could someone make a hit movie or bestselling book based on your life story? If the answer is no, don't write a diversity statement.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:12 am

Poor baby, oppressed by being white AND boring.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 am

The larger point is that even if there's some obscure logic you can use to justify writing a diversity statement, it will not help you in admissions under any circumstances. Certainly, your theories about the inherent superiority of the Italian work ethic will hurt. But even if you manage to edit away all the distasteful parts, your best case scenario is spending a ton of time writing something that really doesn't add any value to your application.

If parts of your background are interesting, if the values that define you came from your family, talk about that in your personal statement. That's what it's there for.

I'm not just trying to participate in an internet pile on here. I thought my Irishing your diversity statement would help, but I guess not. I'll tell you that I put my money where my mouth is though: even though I had a legitimately diverse background (I'm a veteran) I did not write a statement. Why? Because it was incredibly easy to incorporate that experience into my personal statement. It all added to who I am, just like the values you are describing as uniquely Italian all add to who you are.

Anyway, I really cannot emphasize how little this will matter for you unless you screw it up. Schools receive thousands of applications. You will be reduced to a few boxes in a spreadsheet. There will be no check box for Italian heritage. Do not do this.

coffee4closers

Postby coffee4closers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:26 am

encore1101 wrote:Lol @ the whole "I was a pro Cub Scout!" blurb. Nobody gives a shit.

ETA: How about this. Aside from anecdotal, ethnocentric pride, why not include some statistics or research that shows Italian-Americans are so much more hardworking than WASPs?

..the fact that WASPs enslaved an entire race of people for 250 years as well discriminating against those people and every other ethnicity that came to America (Irish, italian, chinese, german, japanese, jewish and today-hispanics). I already stated I-A's surpassed every pertinent national average within a generation. Do you have the percentages for the WASPs living in poverty today as compared to Italian-Americans? 80% of Italian immigrants came from poor rural southern Italy not the rich high-class North Italy.

And I could care less what you think about the Scouts. At 16, with barely any hair on my balls, I saved a man's life from potentially bleeding out on the highway thanks to the medical skills I learned in scouting. I hope you're never in the same situation.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 am

coffee4closers wrote:
encore1101 wrote:Lol @ the whole "I was a pro Cub Scout!" blurb. Nobody gives a shit.

..the fact that WASPs enslaved an entire race of people for 250 years as well discriminating against those people and every other ethnicity that came to America (Irish, italian, chinese, german, japanese, jewish and today-hispanics). I already stated I-A's surpassed every pertinent national average within a generation. Do you have the percentages for the WASPs living in poverty today as compared to Italian-Americans? 80% of Italian immigrants came from poor rural southern Italy not the rich high-class North Italy.

And I could care less what you think about the Scouts. At 16, with barely any hair on my balls, I saved a man's life from potentially bleeding out on the highway thanks to the medical skills I learned in scouting. I hope you're never in the same situation.

174, would read again.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:31 am

coffee4closers wrote:At 16, with barely any hair on my balls

definitely not italian

coffee4closers

Postby coffee4closers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Poor baby, oppressed by being white AND boring.

rinkrat19 wrote:That last sentence doesn't even make sense. Japan and China impressed your I-A community on you? What?

Typical know it all liberal. Name call and bring up tangent info, but avoiding civil discourse. You'll be easy to defeat in court.

And that fact that most of you are trying to my feelings :lol: :lol: this really is a down year for law schools.

coffee4closers

Postby coffee4closers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:35 am

fats provolone wrote:
coffee4closers wrote:At 16, with barely any hair on my balls

definitely not italian

Made up for it with the chest flow.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:35 am

coffee4closers wrote:

rinkrat19 wrote:That last sentence doesn't even make sense. Japan and China impressed your I-A community on you? What?

Typical know it all liberal. Name call and bring up tangent info, but avoiding civil discourse. You'll be easy to defeat in court.

And that fact that most of you are trying to my feelings :lol: :lol: this really is a down year for law schools.

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

Check out that link. It's basically a comprehensive list of things law schools care about. Which european country your ancestors came from is nowhere to be found.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:36 am

coffee4closers wrote:Typical know it all liberal. Name call and bring up tangent info, but avoiding civil discourse. You'll be easy to defeat in court.

:lol:

please stay. you can replace hopefulsplitter.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:38 am

coffee4closers wrote:

Look idk if you're trolling or just mad, but even if you don't agree with the people in this thread, their advice is sound—do not under any circumstances submit a diversity statement. It doesn't matter if you agree with the politics behind admissions or if you're a proud Italian-American or whatever... at the end of the day, all that matters is if you get accepted to the school you want, and submitting a DS will decrease your chances of being accepted, so you should not submit a DS. Simple as that. Leave your feelings out of it and learn how to play the game.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am

This is the funniest thread I've ever seen. Please be sincere, OP.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”