Should I try to submit this diversity statement? I'm white. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
coffee4closers

New

Should I try to submit this diversity statement? I'm white.

Post by coffee4closers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:43 pm

I'd like to here opinions and or suggestions for the diversity statement I've written, and whether I should send it despite not being a URM.I decided to do a diversity statement because I believe I am diverse, and don't agree with the reverse discrimination I face today based off the historical actions of anglo-saxons of whom I have no ties with. I grew up around affluent white kids who had every opportunity at their fingers and didn't grasp them; I did and more. But thats PS this is DS.

“But you’re white?” my best friend retorted after I told him I had to work on my diversity statement that night. I have never been one to view my life or others in such a narrow scope. I come from a proud Italian-American family whose heritage inspires me to continue a legacy started so long ago. My ancestors journeyed to America in the early 20th century impoverished by centuries of foreign misrule and economic measure’s imposed on their home region. They were not welcomed with open arms but with scorn and degradation as have happened too many of the peoples who worked and built America into what it is today. The Italian-American community my ancestors joined emphasized family, religion, education, hard work and last but not least, really good food. Four generations later these are still the same values I was raised with and exude today.
As their parents before them, my mother and father have never been ones to let my siblings and I get “comfortable.” Growing up my parents always impressed on me the importance of doing things for myself. I had the attitude of spoiled child, yet was never spoiled - why did I have to do the dishes, the cleaning, or yard work while my friends played; couldn’t we just hire a maid, or yardman like their families did? We certainly could afford it. When it came to school work, I would come home with A- and be questioned on why it wasn’t an A+. For sports it was give it 100% effort or don’t play. Beginning at age 15 I always held a job because I could never get the $20 from my parents for the movies or filling my gas tank. Many times I was infuriated pointing out how much better I was doing in school than my friends, and my high level involvement in clubs, scouts, and church. The response I always got was “We’re not worried about your friends, we’re worried about you.” I heard that phrase so much its underlying meaning was lost on me.
It was only when I completed my Eagle Scout project that it finally dawned on me. I accomplished a feat only 2% of scouts ever completed, but realized I had not done it alone. The Italian culture in my family didn't set me up for success but guided me to find the ability and self-reliance within myself that my great-great grandfather brought with him to America a century before. I seek to continue the traditions and values of Italian-American culture which I believe have been instrumental in propelling me in my endeavors. My family and Italian heritage taught me no job is too big or insignificant, and because so I have developed a high self-confidence and healthy dose of insecurity in all my undertakings. I know the values cultivated from my heritage will bring _______ Law an intellectual diversity as opposed to an outward appearance of it. I look forward to being a part of a truly diverse and respected institution as ______ Law and sharing with peers new perspectives, ideas, and last but not least my grandmothers tasty homemade cannoli.

It's my first draft and needs polishing, really trying not come off as a d*ck. But hey thanks for reading/comments!
Last edited by coffee4closers on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Should I try to submit this diversity statement? I'm white.

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 pm

No.

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Not going to read that but no you shouldn't.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:50 pm

I read this and definitely a no

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:51 pm

No. Nothing about that is unique to Italian-Americans.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Lol. You should really submit this statement. Make sure to include the fact that you have been hindered by "reverse racism." You are sure to come off as original, intelligent and unique!

In all seriousness, DO NOT submit this diversity statement!

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 pm

tldr, but i read your intro paragraph, and no.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 pm

I basically agree with your sentiment, but file this under the category "obviously bad ideas."
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:00 pm

So you are diverse because your great grandparents were european immigrants and your parents are hard asses?
Sorry but this is most law school students

I might even go a step further and infer that you're applying to law school to please your parents. That's not an inference you want an adcom to make

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Retake.

illegally_blonde

New

Post by illegally_blonde » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 pm

No. A diversity statement is there to show that you had to overcome challenges no one else faced.

Were your Italian ancestors a gay Ethiopian couple that was forcefully moved from their native land to Genoa by a vile Savoy king? I doubt that.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Before I beat this dead horse, what makes you think you're unique and/or diverse?

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:Not going to read that but no you shouldn't.
unless gay, cosigned.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 pm

coffee4closers wrote:I'd like to here opinions and or suggestions for the diversity statement I've written, and whether I should send it despite not being a URM. btw- I'm not an ignorant white kid. I decided to do a diversity statement because I believe I am diverse, and don't agree with the reverse discrimination I face today based off the historical actions of anglo-saxons of whom I have no ties with.

“But you’re white?” my best friend retorted after I told him I had to work on my diversity statement that night. I have never been one to view my life or others in such a narrow scope. I come from a proud Italian Irish-American family whose heritage inspires me to continue a legacy started so long ago. My ancestors journeyed to America in the early 20th century impoverished by centuries of foreign misrule and economic measure’s imposed on their home region. They were not welcomed with open arms but with scorn and degradation as have happened too many of the peoples who worked and built America into what it is today. The Italian Irish-American community my ancestors joined emphasized family, religion, education, hard work and last but not least, really good food beer. Four generations later these are still the same values I was raised with and exude today.
As their parents before them, my mother and father have never been ones to let my siblings and I get “comfortable.” Growing up my parents always impressed on me the importance of doing things for myself. I had the attitude of spoiled child, yet was never spoiled - why did I have to do the dishes, the cleaning, or yard work while my friends played; couldn’t we just hire a maid, or yardman? We certainly could afford it. When it came to school work, I would come home with A- and be questioned on why it wasn’t an A+. For sports it was give it 100% effort or don’t play. Beginning at age 15 I always held a job because I could never get the $20 from my parents for the movies or filling my gas tank. Many times I was infuriated pointing out how much better I was doing in school than my friends, and my high level involvement in clubs, scouts, and church. The response I always got was “We’re not worried about your friends, we’re worried about you.” I heard that phrase so much its underlying meaning was lost on me.
It was only when I completed my Eagle Scout project that it finally dawned on me. I accomplished a feat only 2% of scouts ever completed, but realized I had not done it alone. The culture of my family had set me up for success and provided me with the tools and self-reliance my great-great grandfather brought with him to America a century before. I seek to continue the traditions and values of Italian Irish-American culture which I believe have been instrumental in propelling me in my endeavors. My family and Italian Irish heritage taught me no job is too big or insignificant, and because so I have developed a high self-confidence and healthy dose of insecurity in all my undertakings. I know the values cultivated from my heritage will bring _______ Law an intellectual diversity as opposed to an outward appearance of it. I look forward to being a part of a truly diverse and respected institution as ______ Law and sharing with peers new perspectives, ideas, and last but not least my grandmothers tasty homemade cannoli corned beef and cabbage.

It's my first draft and needs polishing, really trying not come off as a d*ck. You do. But hey thanks for reading/comments!
edit to add: snark aside, do you see how little your Italian-ness matters to what you're saying? Your grandmother's cannoli is literally the only thing you mentioned that is actually unique to the experience of being an Italian-American. If a blue-collar work ethic defines you, talk about that in your personal statement. Though, you know, don't mention that bit about your parents not being poor. Some things are better left unsaid.

edit the edit to add: and by the way, your little bit about reverse discrimination at the top makes it seem like you really REALLY don't understand the goals of AA. I won't get into it anymore here but believe me when I tell you that this makes you seem worse than "an ignorant white kid."

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 pm

coffee4closers wrote:I'd like to here opinions and or suggestions for the diversity statement I've written, and whether I should send it despite not being a URM. btw- I'm not an ignorant white kid. I decided to do a diversity statement because I believe I am diverse, and don't agree with the reverse discrimination I face today based off the historical actions of anglo-saxons of whom I have no ties with.

“But you’re white?” my best friend retorted after I told him I had to work on my diversity statement that night. I have never been one to view my life or others in such a narrow scope. I come from a proud Italian-American family whose heritage inspires me to continue a legacy started so long ago. My ancestors journeyed to America in the early 20th century impoverished by centuries of foreign misrule and economic measure’s imposed on their home region. They were not welcomed with open arms but with scorn and degradation as have happened too many of the peoples who worked and built America into what it is today. The Italian-American community my ancestors joined emphasized family, religion, education, hard work and last but not least, really good food. Four generations later these are still the same values I was raised with and exude today.
As their parents before them, my mother and father have never been ones to let my siblings and I get “comfortable.” Growing up my parents always impressed on me the importance of doing things for myself. I had the attitude of spoiled child, yet was never spoiled - why did I have to do the dishes, the cleaning, or yard work while my friends played; couldn’t we just hire a maid, or yardman? We certainly could afford it. When it came to school work, I would come home with A- and be questioned on why it wasn’t an A+. For sports it was give it 100% effort or don’t play. Beginning at age 15 I always held a job because I could never get the $20 from my parents for the movies or filling my gas tank. Many times I was infuriated pointing out how much better I was doing in school than my friends, and my high level involvement in clubs, scouts, and church. The response I always got was “We’re not worried about your friends, we’re worried about you.” I heard that phrase so much its underlying meaning was lost on me.
It was only when I completed my Eagle Scout project that it finally dawned on me. I accomplished a feat only 2% of scouts ever completed, but realized I had not done it alone. The culture of my family had set me up for success and provided me with the tools and self-reliance my great-great grandfather brought with him to America a century before. I seek to continue the traditions and values of Italian-American culture which I believe have been instrumental in propelling me in my endeavors. My family and Italian heritage taught me no job is too big or insignificant, and because so I have developed a high self-confidence and healthy dose of insecurity in all my undertakings. I know the values cultivated from my heritage will bring _______ Law an intellectual diversity as opposed to an outward appearance of it. I look forward to being a part of a truly diverse and respected institution as ______ Law and sharing with peers new perspectives, ideas, and last but not least my grandmothers tasty homemade cannoli. And I'm a triple amputee.

It's my first draft and needs polishing, really trying not come off as a d*ck. But hey thanks for reading/comments!
There you go, now you're diverse!

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 pm

You may be a diverse candidate somehow, but this personal statement definitely doesn't reflect it. It comes off as very forced and fails to show how you're different from most law school candidates. If anything, you portray yourself as a stereotypical law school candidate who is unaware that he is a stereotypical law school candidate. I think this personal statement would end up doing you more harm than good.

A LOT of law students/law school candidates could say that their grandparents or great-grandparents immigrated from Europe and then successfully integrated into society and instilled work ethic into their children. The unique part would've been if YOU had immigrated from Europe, or if your family had been so unsuccessful from integrating two generations ago that you were still somehow feeling the effect of it. As it stands now, your statement is grasping at straws with this whole Italian-American work ethic thing because you're so far removed from the unique immigration experience or how your grandparents experience shaped you differently from all other law school candidates. Do you speak Italian because you were raised speaking Italian because of your grandparents experience? Have you resided in Italy for an extended period of time due to their experiences? Do you live in an ethnic enclave and not really interact with other ethnic groups because of their experiences? I'm just trying to demonstrate that all of the unique things that were applicable to this story seem to only apply to your grandparents/parents and not you. Your statement comes off as you being so far removed from the immigrant experience and that you are just a typical law student grasping at straws.

There could have been something here if you spoke Italian fluently/natively, lived in Italy for a year plus working due to your interest in your heritage, worked in your parents Italian restaurant in Little Italy, etc. But your essay doesn't demonstrate any of that. It demonstrates that you've had a pretty comfortable upbringing because your grandparents immigrated from Europe a really long-time ago and set your family up for success which is a typical law school candidate.
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:59 pm

I think if you or anyone has to think "hmm, is this diversity statement justified?" then the answer is no

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Retake.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coffee4closers

New

Post by coffee4closers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 pm

This is an optional diversity statement, not a personal statement. This would be a crap personal statement.

Italian-Americans are unique in the fact that they were the fastest ethnic group in American history to achieve prosperity. Not Germans, not Irish, not Asians, not Hispanics, etc. After peak levels of immigration between 1880-1920, by 1970, one generation later, Italian-Americans surpassed national averages in income, education, business, marriage without divorce, etc.

What does law school admissions "diversity" mean then?
To me it meant URMs overcoming adversity with great obstacle(admirable beyond comprehension), while at the same time meaning non-URMs who didn't take for granted the opportunities their family provided (family, not skin color) and excelling/building upon those foundations. I believe these two parties, who are at opposite ends of the spectrum are cut from the same cloth and compliment each other. Despite the class distinctions the liberal rhetoric in these comments make.

The undertones in these comments peg me as 'whitey' @sshole who doesn't know how good he had it. But after extensive revisions I will be submitting. I believe I'm diverse to law schools because I exude virtues from a culture that is ambitious and never satisfied to be content; I don't see this in most of America's white and non-white cultures. And if you disagree you're a liar.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:31 pm

We all know what a diversity statement is bro.

And you do that, good luck to you.

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Lololol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm

coffee4closers wrote:This is an optional diversity statement, not a personal statement. This would be a crap personal statement.

Italian-Americans are unique in the fact that they were the fastest ethnic group in American history to achieve prosperity. Not Germans, not Irish, not Asians, not Hispanics, etc. After peak levels of immigration between 1880-1920, by 1970, one generation later, Italian-Americans surpassed national averages in income, education, business, marriage without divorce, etc.

To me it meant URMs overcoming adversity with great obstacle(admirable beyond comprehension), while at the same time meaning non-URMs who didn't take for granted the opportunities their family provided (family, not skin color) and excelling/building upon those foundations. I believe these two parties, who are at opposite ends of the spectrum are cut from the same cloth and compliment each other. Despite the class distinctions the liberal rhetoric in these comments make.

The undertones in these comments peg me as 'whitey' @sshole who doesn't know how good he had it. But after extensive revisions I will be submitting. I believe I'm diverse to law schools because I exude virtues from a culture that is ambitious and never satisfied to be content; I don't see this in most of America's white and non-white cultures. And if you disagree you're a liar.
Dude, I totally disagree. There are lots and lots of ambitious people going to law school from a whole variety of ethnicities. You could substitute a whole slew of other ethnicities for Italian-American in that statement and it would still hold true. There really isn't anything connecting you to anything specifically Italian apart from the cannolis (as someone already said). And there are a LOT of potential reasons for why the Italian-American experience was different from that of other ethnicities that don't result from some kind of Italian work ethic.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm

coffee4closers wrote:This is an optional diversity statement, not a personal statement. This would be a crap personal statement.

You deserve all the wonderful things that will happen to you.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 pm

If you're more ambitious than white people AND non-whites, I would think, by this point, that you'd already have started several successful companies and invented several useful products. Or at the very least, cured several diseases. What exactly have you done with all this superhuman ambition you were apparently gifted with by your extremely rare Italian-American family?

In other words, no. Stop it.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Saying "I come from a group of especially successful white people" is definitely not what you want to do. You'll just be seen as especially privileged.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”