Struggling With P.S. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
UOI4430

Bronze

Struggling With P.S.

Post by UOI4430 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi TLS friends,

I am struggling mightily with my personal statement (as I imagine many of you are as well). I was advised to reflect on my life before starting to write, but as I reflected I recognized that I haven't faced too many struggles. As well, I do not have any stellar accomplishments besides a good GPA and LSAT score. I feel like I don't have anything to say. Has anyone had this same issue?

The best I have come up with is that I have worked for the last three years as a pizza delivery driver and I have used that money to pay for my college tuition. I did not receive help from anyone else to pay for school. Does this seem like a decent avenue for a personal statement? i.e. I had to work and pursue academics at the same time/It was difficult to pay for college on my own.

Perhaps some of you have had a similar experience. Any feedback is helpful.

Gefuehlsecht

Bronze

Re: Struggling With P.S.

Post by Gefuehlsecht » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Tell me a good story about a fun encounter while you were delivering pizza which somehow portrays you as a person with some insight and you're done.
It's much better to be normal than trying to come across as a unique snowflake. Special people go on the short bus. It's not much different in law school, believe me.

UOI4430

Bronze

Re: Struggling With P.S.

Post by UOI4430 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Gefuehlsecht wrote:Tell me a good story about a fun encounter while you were delivering pizza which somehow portrays you as a person with some insight and you're done.
It's much better to be normal than trying to come across as a unique snowflake. Special people go on the short bus. It's not much different in law school, believe me.
Thanks for the tip. I actually have several such stories.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”