Thank you! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Thank you!

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:56 am

Thank you!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: "Why" Duke Law (Optional Essay #1)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Bump! I'd love any help!

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:55 pm

IMO, the whole first paragraph is either entirely unnecessary or could be reduced to one sentence. Is this your version of "Why law" from the Duke prompt? You are going to need to discuss something more specific than this.

Would take out "While professional obligations prohibit me from visiting until after my application is submitted"; You didn't visit but there's no reason to specifically mention that fact.

The entire second paragraph says almost nothing, except the "LEAD" thing? Not sure what this is, but you're going to need to connect with it in a more personal way than "fits my academic experiences and strengths" and the fact that your undergrad has a "rigorous" program.

"Over one hundred Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in the South" - wouldn't say this either.

Writing is good, but it's mostly about nothing...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:05 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:IMO, the whole first paragraph is either entirely unnecessary or could be reduced to one sentence. Is this your version of "Why law" from the Duke prompt? You are going to need to discuss something more specific than this.
I definitely need help with this. I don't have any experience with the legal system, so what's the best way to write something specific? It seems like a trap question unless it's fine to discuss my reasoning in more abstract terms. I want a career path that is challenging, requires a blend of intellectual and interpersonal skills, and serves/impacts others. Why law? Because it matches those goals and, moreover, involves a field that I believe is undergirds and advances our society.

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
blueberrycrumble wrote:IMO, the whole first paragraph is either entirely unnecessary or could be reduced to one sentence. Is this your version of "Why law" from the Duke prompt? You are going to need to discuss something more specific than this.
I definitely need help with this. I don't have any experience with the legal system, so what's the best way to write something specific? It seems like a trap question unless it's fine to discuss my reasoning in more abstract terms. I want a career path that is challenging, requires a blend of intellectual and interpersonal skills, and serves/impacts others. Why law? Because it matches those goals and, moreover, involves a field that I believe is undergirds and advances our society.
That's not a very good reason... you may find that your actual job may not be all that intellectual, interpersonal nor will you necessarily serve others.

For example, I wrote about a specific internship experience I had where I did work that used skills that would apply to law school, and where the subject matter (while not law) is related to law.

Anyway, do you have any experiences that led you to law school? Could be something you actively did or some event that has impacted you. Or is there any specific area of law that you want to pursue? Why? Ex: someone might have environment related work or volunteer experience and therefore wants to pursue environmental law

Regardless, the Why Duke should mostly be about Duke; I just included one paragraph about Why Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EarthdogFred

New

Post by EarthdogFred » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Are your numbers at or above Duke's medians? If so, some iteration of this should be fine. Otherwise, we need something more provocative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:18 pm

EarthdogFred wrote:Are your numbers at or above Duke's medians? If so, some iteration of this should be fine. Otherwise, we need something more provocative.
Comfortably above both 75ths.

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 pm

EarthdogFred wrote:Are your numbers at or above Duke's medians? If so, some iteration of this should be fine. Otherwise, we need something more provocative.
I actually disagree with this since OP is above both 75ths; we've seen a bit of YP going on already with priority reserves, so I think writing at least a semi-compelling Why Duke is important if you actually want to go.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:24 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
I actually disagree with this since OP is above both 75ths; we've seen a bit of YP going on already with priority reserves, so I think writing at least a semi-compelling Why Duke is important if you actually want to go.
I didn't receive a PT invite, if that indicates anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Is this a better version?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Bump :D

Help is appreciated so much!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”