GPA or LSAT Addendum? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
BManCal90

New

GPA or LSAT Addendum?

Post by BManCal90 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Trying to decide which to write an addendum for.

GPA is a 3.49 (LSAC has my cumulative GPA pegged at 3.54 when grades from other schools are factored in)
- Due to financial necessity, I worked Soph-Senior years during undergrad, averaging 25 hours/week, up to 35 hours for a few quarters, and 40 hours during the summer (while taking summer classes)
- Double-majored in Poli Sci and Econ and graduated in 4 years, with Econ bringing down my GPA

I was going to write about how my GPA suffered due to work responsibilities and that I'm confident I could do much better in law school.

LSAT is a 160 (Sept. '14) and a 158 (June '14).
- I really wouldn't know what to write for this. I do know people who have successfully argued that standardized tests are a poor reflection of their student performance and have provided SAT/ACT scores as a comparison

If I were to go this route, I would be arguing that my SAT scores are a poor reflection of my UGPA (which is less than stellar also).

---
I'm applying to schools ranked roughly 20-60. I have extra-currics and professional work experience, as well as a diversity statement to present. So otherwise, my application would be strong.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Re: GPA or LSAT Addendum?

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm

You wouldn't write an addendum for a whole GPA. It would be if it was one class you took when you were 16, or had a 2.0 before the army but 4.0 after, or if your seeing eye dog died before one final.

An LSAT addendum would be useful where you had a 145 followed by a 160, and were violently sick during the first test. Maybe if you had a 400 SAT math but a 4.0 in college and a 160 then your addendum would be meaningful. What's your basis for your score not referencing your ability? Do you have evidence beyond your parents say you're smart?

Ultimately, these are most useful when you have one number above a median, and are applying with another number below a 25th percentile. You're telling the school to take your 3.0 above another student's 3.3 because you got one F when you were not yourself and have a 175.

If you feel your LSAT doesn't measure your capacity to do well during 1L then retake.

pkraft1

New

Re: GPA or LSAT Addendum?

Post by pkraft1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I just don't think this whole approach could ever be effective. It requires admissions to change their mind on how they have been evaluating students for years, or they already don't evaluate LSAT/GPA this way, and your addendum is read by someone who already thinks like you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”