Pick my topic Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
AlexandraHope

Bronze

Pick my topic

Post by AlexandraHope » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Okay So I would really like your opinion on these topics...

1.) My interest in studying policy and governmental funding because of my experiences with childhood cancer (I did not have it ) but I grew up in an area that is known for their contributions to childhood cancer and then in high school a close friend was diagnosed

2.) Growing up an "oreo" in America. I am black in middle class

3.)tracing my roots and finding my identity. I am mostly African-American but I researched and found some interesting stuff about my family's history

4.) Studying abroad in a virtually all white town in France and how it helped me grow as both an American, as a person of color, and as a human being

5.) Other Ideas Are Welcomed appreciated and encouraged.

As stated in a previous thread , I have a pretty ordinary life. Although, I was raised in a single parent home my mom's job afford us with a very comfortable living.
Last edited by AlexandraHope on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McAvoy

Gold

Re: Pick my topic

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:41 pm

eh, keep thinking of more

AlexandraHope

Bronze

Post by AlexandraHope » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:47 pm

McAvoy wrote:eh, keep thinking of more
Do you have any suggestions? I have a little under a year to apply and get everything ready. But I want to knock a lot of it out during Holiday Breaks, since I am so bummed down with school work and campus activities during the year.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Only talk about France if you're ready to explain how much you hate those freedom-haters

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:20 pm

You would be well served by working for a year. You could teach in another country, work as a paralegal, do a service year...it won't matter what you do, but you will be penalized for being a k-jd. Because you sound like a k-jd. Which you should, since you are.

That said, since you want advice:
1. Really seems like you're stretching
2. Or 3. Could both be good diversity statements
4. Too college. But could also be a good diversity statement

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:27 pm

If you think about the segment of the african american population who is matriculating at top law schools, essays about being an Oreo are too cliche for our generation. Time to move on. (I lightly referenced this myself in initial drafts before scrapping it).

Negros in Paris is an old cliche (Baldwin, Wright, for instance) but that's kind of gone out of style. Might be interesting if you freshened it up.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 pm

2 & 4 are what I'd pick but they are probably beating a dead horse. I don't know your life so I can't suggest things to you on this basis but I can say: if I were the adcomm to Yale and you had 10 minutes to tell me a story about what makes you different - what would you say?

Whatever your answer is, I'd right that.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandraHope

Bronze

Post by AlexandraHope » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:38 pm

rebexness wrote:
imKMart wrote:2 & 4 are what I'd pick but they are probably beating a dead horse. I don't know your life so I can't suggest things to you on this basis but I can say: if I were the adcomm to Yale and you had 10 minutes to tell me a story about what makes you different - what would you say?
This is exactly what I was going to suggest- and ultimately what gave me my own topic after a lot of "omg wtf do i write about?"
I wish that helped me :( . My life isn't interesting at all

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm

AlexandraHope wrote:
rebexness wrote:
imKMart wrote:2 & 4 are what I'd pick but they are probably beating a dead horse. I don't know your life so I can't suggest things to you on this basis but I can say: if I were the adcomm to Yale and you had 10 minutes to tell me a story about what makes you different - what would you say?
This is exactly what I was going to suggest- and ultimately what gave me my own topic after a lot of "omg wtf do i write about?"
then go do something interesting over the next year before you actually need to write your PS.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:41 pm

AlexandraHope wrote:
rebexness wrote:
I thought the same thing but you just need to sit and think for awhile. You'll get something. I asked a few people what makes me unique to them and got a few answers. They weren't really 'good' but they did help me brainstorm other ideas. You'll get there. We all go through it.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:43 pm

McAvoy wrote:
AlexandraHope wrote:
rebexness wrote:
then go do something interesting over the next year before you actually need to write your PS.
TCR.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”