Best topic? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
blsnared

New

Best topic?

Post by blsnared » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:37 pm

Which of the following would be a more interesting topic from a splitter (myself). It goes without saying that in each of these topics, I would make a "why law school" connection.

General character development facilitated by the army/working as a police officer, comparative to the immaturity and arrogance of me during my college years.

OR

Narrating a particular call I've responded to as a police officer.

OR

General trends I've noticed since employed as a police officer that I never noticed, and would have never noticed, as a normal citizen.

ravel

Bronze

Re: Best topic?

Post by ravel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

-
Last edited by ravel on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blsnared

New

Post by blsnared » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 pm

Trends was a bad term to use, as it could imply some sort of statistical study or worse, an unsubstantiated claim based on selective observation.

Give me an opportunity to be more clear. I did not mean trends. What I meant was, realities of life outside of the socio-economic class I grew up in that have changed the immature and ignorant opinions I held in my youth. I think we can agree that a kid who grows up in a Mormon household with a gross household income of $140,000+ and had never been victimized of anything in his entire life, becoming a police officer in a city with 10% unemployment, an additional 19% under the poverty level, low average education, and considerable racial segregation had a world-shattering awakening (and became a much better person and leader as a result).

lurkerrr

New

Post by lurkerrr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:19 am

Can you possibly combine number 2 with 1 or 3?

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 pm

I think #2 could be really good because you could use it to show, rather than tell, who you are as a person. I think you could use the story to explain how your experiences have made you want to go to law school, if you want to go that route.

Gradvocates Editing

New

Post by Gradvocates Editing » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm

The first topic sounds too negative, and it will almost certainly come across as too abstract. Instead, begin your personal statement with the second idea, and then transition to the third idea. Work your interest in studying law into that mix.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”