Demonstrating Interest Prior to Applying

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
hill1334

New

Demonstrating Interest Prior to Applying

Postby hill1334 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 pm

When I was applying to college, it was repeatedly recommended that I try to demonstrate an interest in colleges I wanted to get into as doing so was apparently supposed to increase my chances of being accepted. Is it likewise recommended that individuals interested in applying to particular law schools try to demonstrate interest in those colleges by, for example, applying for additional information, visiting the law school, attending seminars, or participating in phone consultations? As a specific example: the University of Michigan sent me a letter inviting me to participate in a 20-minute phone consultation, and I was wondering if participating in such a conversation, besides granting me the opportunity to learn more about the school, might improve my chances of being accepted.

My best guess is that these sort of interactions, if the law schools even record them, won't do too much to boost an inadequate application, but they may just be enough to separate two otherwise equally strong applications.

[just noticed I posted this in the personal statements thread--my bad]
Last edited by hill1334 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Re: Demonstrating Interest Prior to Applying

Postby minnbills » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:00 am

They won't care about anything but your grades and LSAT. They probably just want to pitch the school.

That said, there's no reason not to I guess.

smash17

New

Re: Demonstrating Interest Prior to Applying

Postby smash17 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 am

Yes, agreed that it probably does slightly help as between two equally attractive candidates on paper.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�