PS Topics... a bit controversial Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

PS Topics... a bit controversial

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:59 am

I have a few ideas I'm thinking about, but not sure how controversial they might be. A little background is that I want to do public interest law, hopefully health law but I'd be just as happy working in other fields as well (e.g. immigration law, labor and employment law, human rights, etc.) Please help me choose one! Thank you :D

1. Dealing with medical malpractice (even though this happened in high school). Trying to escape it by going to undergrad for international relations in another state, and then finally coming to terms with it and deciding to do health law

2. This is the one that is most controversial: Being indoctrinated into a pro-Israel stance, going to undergrad for middle eastern studies to find out the actual history of it, encountering fundamental discrimination on both sides in Israel when I studied abroad, deciding that the best way to start to fix problems was from home and deciding to do focus on immigration/refugee law

3. Discrimination and harassment in the workplace because I was a young female, a few key incidents that happened when I was working part-time during college, how I learned how to be more confident and take a stance in the face of adversity, and deciding to do a focus on labor and employment law

Those are my main ones, but I have a few weaker ideas up my sleeve as well (the typical working my ass off to pay off tuition during college, dealing with grief, blah blah)

Any feedback is absolutely welcome and appreciated!

acr

Silver

Re: PS Topics... a bit controversial

Post by acr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:15 am

I am also interested in pursuing health law. If you're interested in working together on our statements, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have/edit.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:25 am

I would say pick the one that you can write most eloquently about and tells the story of "why law" the best. Also, don't think your PS has to pigeon-hole you into a specific area of law. You don't have to have a specialization picked out, but you do need to explain why you want to go to law school and what makes you someone they should let in.

Also, I don't think those are particularly controversial or would get you in trouble with an admissions officer.

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:35 pm

If you write about #2 you'll probably really impress Berkeley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Cradle6 wrote:If you write about #2 you'll probably really impress Berkeley.
Why do you say that? Am I missing something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Don't write any of these topics if you end them with a "Why X Law" where X is a niche field in which you have no experience. The narratives themselves sound interesting enough, but you're going to harm them (and yourself) by shoehorning into a "Why X Law" appeal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm

HRomanus wrote:Don't write any of these topics if you end them with a "Why X Law" where X is a niche field in which you have no experience. The narratives themselves sound interesting enough, but you're going to harm them (and yourself) by shoehorning into a "Why X Law" appeal.
Thanks for the advice--I thought so too but I'm still trying to figure out how to not back myself into a corner regarding this. When it comes to the first one, which I think I'm leaning towards, I think it's important as a point of development that I did, indeed, try to run away from my problems for awhile and forget (so did my family, for that matter) but then circled back when Obamacare and recent legislation peaked my interest and made me want to explore the field a little more versus my Middle Eastern Studies major.

The second one would sure be easier, but the honest truth is that I want to focus on domestic issues (hence law) which make me less upset/frustrated/want to explode lol

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:14 pm

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HRomanus wrote:Don't write any of these topics if you end them with a "Why X Law" where X is a niche field in which you have no experience. The narratives themselves sound interesting enough, but you're going to harm them (and yourself) by shoehorning into a "Why X Law" appeal.
Thanks for the advice--I thought so too but I'm still trying to figure out how to not back myself into a corner regarding this. When it comes to the first one, which I think I'm leaning towards, I think it's important as a point of development that I did, indeed, try to run away from my problems for awhile and forget (so did my family, for that matter) but then circled back when Obamacare and recent legislation peaked my interest and made me want to explore the field a little more versus my Middle Eastern Studies major.

The second one would sure be easier, but the honest truth is that I want to focus on domestic issues (hence law) which make me less upset/frustrated/want to explode lol
The primary purpose of the personal statement is to reveal your character. If the statement doesn't do that, its failed its purpose and you've wasted that part of your application. Unless you have a really powerful and/or really relevant experience with a niche field of law, don't write about how you want to go into it. Always choose a narrative that reveals your character over one that reveals your interests, particularly legal interests.

For that, at least given what you've written, the second topic sounds more interesting. Be careful with your approach, though. Indoctrination is a very strong word and evokes powerful reactions. Because the topic is controversial, avoid controversial language.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:34 pm

OP: What are your stats? That is what really matters here. Sure, a really killer PS might move you off the bubble. Pick whatever you are comfortable writing about and proof it. Go ahead and write about health law if you are so inclined....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:43 pm

filibuster wrote:OP: What are your stats? That is what really matters here. Sure, a really killer PS might move you off the bubble. Pick whatever you are comfortable writing about and proof it. Go ahead and write about health law if you are so inclined....

3.49, 168 right now--retaking this September

You guys don't think the Palestinian/Israeli/Arab issue will be too controversial for the adcomm, given current events?

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
filibuster wrote:OP: What are your stats? That is what really matters here. Sure, a really killer PS might move you off the bubble. Pick whatever you are comfortable writing about and proof it. Go ahead and write about health law if you are so inclined....

3.49, 168 right now--retaking this September

You guys don't think the Palestinian/Israeli/Arab issue will be too controversial for the adcomm, given current events?
The PS doesn't matter that much, so I'd avoid any hint of controversy. But it's possible to write on a controversial topic in a personal way without being inflammatory. Using the example I cited above, don't use words like "indoctrination." You want to use a powerful, negative term like indoctirnation for things that nobody likes. Hitler Youth were indoctrinated; Ron Paul supporters were indoctrinated.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Do not right about IP using anything close to the language you've used here, hth, especially the world indoctrinated.

Scooped tho

simplytea

New

Post by simplytea » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 am

OP, I don't know about #2... I've met a lot of people who have EXTREME feelings one way or the other regarding the Arab/Israeli conflict.

That said, if you can find a way to work it into your PS without offending anyone... go for it. But I'd be hardpressed to do the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”