Trouble with Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
riku33090

Trouble with Personal Statement

Postby riku33090 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 am

Hi, I really need some help finding a topic to write about for my personal statement. So here are some facts about me.

My parents are divorced, I immigrated here when I was 10 with my mom. I didn't really have much trouble growing up financially. My mom was a doctor back in China, but she started out as a lab technician when we first moved here. However, she wasn't satisfied with the low pay, so she began studying for the USMLE. After about seven to eight years of hard work, she finally achieved her goal. This is basically my family story and the only person I can say that have some influences on me.

As for me, I am very lazy, but when it comes to the things I care about, I can be very focused. I am the type of person that go on ratemyprofessor.com and look for the easiest professor to take. I have a low learning curve on most things. Whether it is sports, language or even video games. I tend to procrastinate and sometimes I perform better under a time constraint. To be honest, what I really want to do is to become a NBA general manager, that's probably one of the couple things I am passionate about.

I tried to start a personal statement about how my mother motivate me but I just don't feel anything while writing it. It feels like I am trying to squeeze a raisin.

So please help me figure out what to write about because I really don't have a focus right now.

papercut

Re: Trouble with Personal Statement

Postby papercut » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 am

You're trying to get yourself into law school, not your mom. Your PS has to be about you. Your story.

Have a look at some example PSs.

The book, The Right Words At The Right Time, features a bunch of really short, personal stories written by famous people. I remember there's a story by Muhammad Ali, and another one by Laura Bush. It's a nice little collection of the kind of stories you should try to tell in your PS.

If you look at enough examples you might get the itch to write something yourself.

riku33090

Postby riku33090 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:45 am

papercut wrote:You're trying to get yourself into law school, not your mom. Your PS has to be about you. Your story.

Have a look at some example PSs.

The book, The Right Words At The Right Time, features a bunch of really short, personal stories written by famous people. I remember there's a story by Muhammad Ali, and another one by Laura Bush. It's a nice little collection of the kind of stories you should try to tell in your PS.

If you look at enough examples you might get the itch to write something yourself.

Thanks for the help man, I really don't have a focus now. I don't have a inspiring story to tell, I don't have a particular job experience that I can share, I don't really have anything at the moment.

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 am

Your case isn't unique. The average applicant is... well, perfectly average. You can still write an awesome PS where you wow the adcoms with your writing ability.

Another book I suggest is Anna Ivey's. She used to be the dean of admissions at Chicago. The book's available in kindle format. Anyway, there's a PS in her book that was written by Average Joe Landscaper. There were no starving African children, no crusade against injustice. Just a guy and a truck. But, it was REALLY well written.

I think most people blow it when they try to pass off some 2 hour a week volunteer gig, or a vacation in Africa as some sort of life changing event.

HRomanus

Postby HRomanus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:56 pm

papercut wrote:You're trying to get yourself into law school, not your mom.

Potentially awkward phrasing?

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:36 pm

HRomanus wrote:

:lol: :lol:

But yeah, everyone has a story to tell. You just have to find yours. Good luck!

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

HRomanus wrote:

lol ++++1

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”