Diversity Statement Topic for USC

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Diversity Statement Topic for USC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:21 am

So I have a fairly decent diversity (more so adversity, I guess) topic, albeit it a rare and rather stigmatized one. I've been combatting Generalized Anxiety Disorder/Panic Disorder for years, but have successfully "gotten over it" with natural remedies (running and Bikram yoga, actually. Haven't been on meds or gone to therapy in two years). I think I could write a strong essay and tie in USC's Saks Institute on Mental Health Law and Policy, because the two are relatable and the uniqueness of that clinic is seriously a reason as to why USC is a forerunner for me. Problem is, I don't want to get WL'ed or dinged b/c of the nature of the topic. USC does suggest sending in diversity statements in which one may "struggle with personal/family adversity", though, so I feel like these kinds of essays are okay, but just rare.

I'm drafting tonight/tomorrow to turn in by their 2/01 at midnight PST deadline. 166 LSAT/3.78 GPA, strong softs. My friend who's a 2L at USC urged me to write it, as long as I keep it positive and say I've got it under control/have the tools requisite for succeeding in law school or whatever. Just figured I'd see what everyone else has to say.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Re: Diversity Statement Topic for USC

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:29 am

It sounds fine. Hustle.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”