Deleted! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Deleted!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Deleted!

Ill post another rough draft shortly.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

aviatrixsteff

New

Re: Best PS Ever! MUST READ!

Post by aviatrixsteff » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:22 pm

Don't start off with "One of the most memorable activities during my sophomore year..."

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:30 pm

aviatrixsteff wrote:Don't start off with "One of the most memorable activities during my sophomore year..."
yea. in general, just get to the action. "My sophomore year I..." etc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks! Anything else?

aviatrixsteff

New

Post by aviatrixsteff » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 pm

I like the main point- the device and where it got you. The delivery is lacking.
Use stronger verbs and shorter sentences.
Also, watch out for repetition. The word device occurs too many times at the beginning.
"The following day we noted a business plan competition at the XXXX business school and decided to enter the competition."
Sounds better as
"We entered a plan for our product in a competition at XXX business school."
Things like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Wonderful thank you!

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote: We discussed what we had recently learned in class and fused our knowledge, he was a double major in XXXX and XXXX and I was a double major in XXXX and XXXX.

One seminar in particular caught my attention, it was a lecture by a patent attorney directed towards the protection of Intellectual Property.

I did plenty of research and decided to pursue a career in Intellectual Property, in doing so I would provide engineers and start-up companies with a way to patent their ideas without having to forfeit all the potential benefit to larger entities.

A week before taking the LSATs my mother called me in tears informing me that she had finalized her decision to divorce my stepfather, I supported her fully.
You comma splice like crazy! Use a period or semicolon instead.

oshberg28

Bronze

Post by oshberg28 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:27 am

Mostly comma errors. See below:

One of the most memorable activities during my sophomore year in college was staying up late exploring novel concepts with my roommate. We discussed what we had recently learned in class and fused our knowledge, he was a double major in XXXX and XXXX and I was a double major in XXXX and XXXX.
Make this two separate sentences, or use a semicolon after "knowledge".

On one of those sleepless, yet entertaining, nights we invented a handheld medical device which could diagnose hospital patients using only a small blood sample.
I think the comma should be after "nights".

We attended the mandatory information sessions on a wide array of subject matters primary centered around business development. One seminar in particular caught my attention, it was a lecture by a patent attorney directed towards the protection of Intellectual Property.
"primarily" vice "primary"
Again, no comma after "attention" - either semicolon or make this two separate sentences. Or restructure the sentence into something like "a lecture by a patent attorney directed towards the protection of Intellectual Property caught my attention".

The competition and our business venture ended but my interest in Intellectual Property continued.

Comma after "ended" - if you split up these two clauses, they become independent (they make complete sentences when broken up - thus, use a comma).

I did plenty of research and decided to pursue a career in Intellectual Property, in doing so I would provide engineers and start-up companies with a way to patent their ideas without having to forfeit all the potential benefit to larger entities.
Don't use "did" - use "conducted" or "completed", etc.
Comma again after "Property" - either semicolon or make two sentences, or restructure this sentence.

A week before taking the LSATs my mother called me in tears informing me that she had finalized her decision to divorce my stepfather, I supported her fully.
"LSAT" and not "LSATs". Another comma error after "stepfather".

I'm just going to stop here. You really need to show your essay to an English teacher or a friend who has a strong command of grammar. If you turned this PS in as is, I don't think the adcomms would be able to get past the grammar issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks again everyone, it is my first draft. I should have proofread it prior to posting. Nevertheless, thank you! Anyone else?

aviatrixsteff

New

Re: Deleted!

Post by aviatrixsteff » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:17 pm

I just wanted to say don't be discouraged! Rough drafts are called rough for a reason!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”