Rewrote my statement. Thoughts?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Rewrote my statement. Thoughts?

Postby itsallgoodman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Last edited by itsallgoodman on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Rewrote my statement. Thoughts?

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:59 pm

I really suggest a different topic. This doesn't make for a memorable application. Literally hundreds of people apply with this PS every year.

I know it's a tough temptation to resist, because you may think "arguing" is your most admirable quality, but all it really conveys to most people is stubbornness, social tone-deafness, and a reinforcement of the fact that you are K-JD. I struggled to make my own app much different from this, and it took a lot of thinking. Eventually I settled on a simple camping trip with family that changed my perspective in a few ways, and focused on a few themes of family and self-improvement I thought could relate back to law. In the end it resulted in a PS that was more creative, more self-aware, and less self-aggrandizing. I highly encourage you to do some self-reflection and figure out if there have been more influential, interesting or informative moments in your life/upbringing than the final performance in a class on mock trial.

Re: Rewrote my statement. Thoughts?

Postby mach9zero » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:38 am

:? This is going to be harsh.

You have chosen a terrible topic. From the introduction to the meat-and-potatoes, I wanted to hypothetically vomit. Your mom said you were a good debator? You did a mock trial and came up with a rebuttal? The only personal statement I got from this is that you're arrogant, stubborn, and have an inflated ego. You also seemingly make a joke out of the legal profession, as it's something easily equatable to an after school club at Kansas State University. Being a lawyer doesn't mean that you're good at arguing, it's knowing when it's appropriate to raise an issue or defend. Every year at my school (like all other public schools), a guy comes holding a sign discussing how abortion and homosexuality is a sin. He's very good at arguing, and he obviously loves to debate as he's formulated all his arguments well beforehand and researched from the book he caries. That doesn't mean he's going to make a great lawyer. :|

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”