diversity statement question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
zippernicus

diversity statement question

Postby zippernicus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this...

Is writing a diversity statement for age too much of a reach? I am 30 and have 7 years of work experience, which I think can add diversity to a class, but I am not sure if it would be a legit statement or adcomms would think it was ridiculous?

lawschool2014hopeful

Re: diversity statement question

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:26 pm

the average age for most law school is 26? Unless your work experience involves working with Obama I dont know how it is anything more than just typical work experience.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:35 pm

A diversity statement can encompass a huge array of topics and it's all in how you write it. If all you're going to do is tell the ADCOM, "I'm older than the average student, that's diversity. LOOK AT ME!" then it's a huge waste. But if you can tie your experiences into a narrative different from your PS to explain how your world view is different from others and make it an interesting narrative, it certainly won't hurt you and may even help in the margins.

It's rare a diversity statement will make or break your app, so I wouldn't invest too much time or effort in trying to think of ways you provide diversity.

zippernicus

Postby zippernicus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 am

matthewsean85 wrote:A diversity statement can encompass a huge array of topics and it's all in how you write it. If all you're going to do is tell the ADCOM, "I'm older than the average student, that's diversity. LOOK AT ME!" then it's a huge waste. But if you can tie your experiences into a narrative different from your PS to explain how your world view is different from others and make it an interesting narrative, it certainly won't hurt you and may even help in the margins.

It's rare a diversity statement will make or break your app, so I wouldn't invest too much time or effort in trying to think of ways you provide diversity.

Thanks for the feedback, thats pretty much what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”