Personal statement not personal enough? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ratfukr

Gold

Personal statement not personal enough?

Post by ratfukr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi Future Lawyers Of TLS :D

Here's my issue. I've written and deleted like 20 drafts already because I don't think my personal statement has a personal enough touch. I Want to do entertainment law in a big city, but I know thats a cliche and everyone is trying to do that. So I think everything I write ends up sounding forced and fake, I hate it. There's not much I can say that hasn't been done to death a zillion times, it's mega frustrating. I had one idea but I don't know if it's too outside the box. Very specific so posting anonymously so I don't out myself (I have been called a "shitposter" multiple times here and I don't want adcoms to put 2 and 2 together :oops:). Please don't steal my idea or I will report an ethics violation to LSAC or to the "mods" here. I know that sounds harsh but hey life's harsh :D.

Anyway. My idea is to just do a karaoke YouTube video of me singing "I Touch Myself," a song by the Divinyls. You probably know it, it's pretty famous and in commercials and movies. Most importantly its very personal. The writing will be in the Description section of the video area on YouTube underneath the video. First I think it will say No Copyright Infringement Intended so that 1. they won't think its plagiarism and 2. they will know I have a real interest in copyright matters and the like. Then the rest might be about taking risks or something like that. (I haven't decided.)

Just kind of getting my thoughts together really. :D Adcoms don't really care about pages THAT much right? I think the lyrics are way less than 2 pages. (I only know the chorus right now.)
Thank you so much for your help and again please don't steal my idea because I would REALLY hate to have to explain to schools that I posted my idea in public first, it might make me seem less confident :D

goldeneye

Silver

Re: Personal statement not personal enough?

Post by goldeneye » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:53 pm

I can't say this is the worst idea mentioned on TLS, but it's close. I can't think of a worse song to sing to then I Touch Myself. Just think of a topic and write it down. The PS doesn't matter all that much anyways. Take the LSAT and get a high score and schools could care less what you write.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:59 pm

I have been called a "shitposter" multiple times here
Judging by this post, I can't possibly imagine why.

inlovewithpiper

Bronze

Post by inlovewithpiper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:08 am

Wow, OP. My PS is a karaoke version of me singing "Like a Prayer" by Madonna. The title is, "Admit me here, and I'll take you there."

You don't think adcoms will assume one of us stole the other's idea, right?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 am

No trolling the on-topics (you get outed for doing so) (not that anyone probably had any doubt who this was, but for posterity and all).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”