Telling catholic law schools i worked with LGBT Group in PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
taylorswiftfan

Telling catholic law schools i worked with LGBT Group in PS

Postby taylorswiftfan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 pm

I'm working on my personal statement and I mention how as a student leader on campus, my organization and I partnered with a LGBT organization at our college. We also had a few events on campus that focused on the theme of LGBT issues because we wanted to show how well rounded we were as an organization. I want to mention this because I think it would highlight my respect for diversity and show how I was an open minded leader at my school.

However, I am applying to some catholic law schools (most of which are my top choices) and am nervous that some of the admissions committee members and whoever else reviews the applications are going to be turned off by my PS because I mention LGBT issues. I'm just wondering how ideologically liberal or conservative admissions committees are (esp. those at catholic law schools).

What do you guys think? Should i mention this in my PS or should i leave it out?

yeslekkkk

Re: Telling catholic law schools i worked with LGBT Group in PS

Postby yeslekkkk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:I'm working on my personal statement and I mention how as a student leader on campus, my organization and I partnered with a LGBT organization at our college. We also had a few events on campus that focused on the theme of LGBT issues because we wanted to show how well rounded we were as an organization. I want to mention this because I think it would highlight my respect for diversity and show how I was an open minded leader at my school.

However, I am applying to some catholic law schools (most of which are my top choices) and am nervous that some of the admissions committee members and whoever else reviews the applications are going to be turned off by my PS because I mention LGBT issues. I'm just wondering how ideologically liberal or conservative admissions committees are (esp. those at catholic law schools).

What do you guys think? Should i mention this in my PS or should i leave it out?

Don't worry about it. Talk about it. They are first a law school and second a Catholic institution. Most of the people working at the law schools probably aren't Catholic. They also realize that their applicants aren't all Catholic. Also, being Catholic doesn't mean hating the LGBTIQ population. People tend to overanalyze the relationship of Christianity and LGBT community. I went to a Christian college for a stint and was a participant in a Christian service corps program. My sister is an ordained minister. I say all this to let you know that I am very familiar with Christianity (including Catholicism). Don't overthink it too much. Be honest. Be yourself.

pcthenls

Postby pcthenls » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 pm

If a school would deny you admissions solely because you have been a leader in groups that involve LGBT issues, would you really want to attend that law school? I don't think any school would do this, but I say it's a good test.

Good luck!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:I'm working on my personal statement and I mention how as a student leader on campus, my organization and I partnered with a LGBT organization at our college. We also had a few events on campus that focused on the theme of LGBT issues because we wanted to show how well rounded we were as an organization. I want to mention this because I think it would highlight my respect for diversity and show how I was an open minded leader at my school.

Last cycle I applied to a catholic school and mentioned similar things, I was accepted with a scholarship. (Ultimately withdrew, but that was because I decided LS could wait a year).

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

Last cycle I applied to a catholic school and mentioned similar things, I was accepted with a scholarship. (Ultimately withdrew, but that was because I decided LS could wait a year).

Do you mind telling me what law school it was?

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'd like to hear more input on this if anyone has additional thoughts.

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm

they dont care i go to a cath school and the outlaws(lgbt group) are everywhere

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 am

are you talking about schools like Notre Dame, Georgetown, Fordham, etc., or schools like Ave Maria, Liberty and Regent?

If the former, then don't worry, it won't impact your application. If the latter, then it might be a problem, though not nearly as big a problem as their employment statistics

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 am

Of course, Liberty and Regent aren't Catholic schools.

taylorswiftfan

Postby taylorswiftfan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 am

St. John's
Fordham
Loyola Chicago
Boston college

I am applying to those schools- is it a bad idea to write about this then? Or no?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 pm

taylorswiftfan wrote:St. John's
Fordham
Loyola Chicago
Boston college

I am applying to those schools- is it a bad idea to write about this then? Or no?

They won't hold it against you

philipthegreat

Postby philipthegreat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:52 pm

I went to BC for undergrad, and I can tell you that the Jesuits are among the most liberal of Catholics, they certainly won't hold it against you. Same goes for Loyola (my sister goes there.)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”