Servicemember's death - too sensitive topic?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Servicemember's death - too sensitive topic?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 am

I am in the military. A major reason I want to attend law school is because of my involvement in an investigation of an accident that resulted in the death of a servicemember while deployed, and I want to center my personal statement around what I did and how it affected me. Obviously the statement would not disclose details of the accident or the identity of the servicemember.

I fear some folks may think that writing about this topic for law school admission as insensitive, exploitative of a tragedy, or too emotional. Am I overreacting (ironically being too sensitive myself) or is this a legitimate concern? TIA

Ramius

Re: Servicemember's death - too sensitive topic?

Postby Ramius » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 am

My ps was very similar to this and it did not hinder my cycle at all. When properly done, it can be a powerful and helpful asset in your favor. Until you write it, no one can tell you whether or not it'll work as a topic.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 am

My PS was military centric too, and while it didn't deal with casualties, it was pretty heavy stuff. Don't think it hurt me at all.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:21 am

If this event had a profound impact on you and is relevant to your decision to pursue the study of law, then I think it makes sense to bring it up in your PS. How you write it is more important.

mach9zero

Postby mach9zero » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 am

:shock: write it out, you'll be good.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”