Should I mention crimes I was charged with but beat Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Should I do it

Do it
30%
Don't do it
70%

Total votes: 10

bdogbb

New

Should I mention crimes I was charged with but beat

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 am

So the entire reason I'm interested in Law now is that I was charged with some trumped up bullshit that I was totally innocent of (I don't want to get into any details but it involved other people's drugs), but we took it to trial and won. The American justice system actually worked for me, and I want to be able to pay that forward as an attorney in criminal law. Is this sort of thing a good idea to talk about in a personal statement, or a horrible idea?

daryldixon

Bronze

Re: Should I mention crimes I was charged with but beat

Post by daryldixon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:21 am

bdogbb wrote:So the entire reason I'm interested in Law now is that I was charged with some trumped up bullshit that I was totally innocent of (I don't want to get into any details but it involved other people's drugs), but we took it to trial and won. The American justice system actually worked for me, and I want to be able to pay that forward as an attorney in criminal law. Is this sort of thing a good idea to talk about in a personal statement, or a horrible idea?
Well it will save you an addendum because you will definitely need to disclose it to most schools.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 am

No that is a terrible idea. "Trumped up bullshit" is not how you should describe anything in your application, especially crimes you've been charged with.

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:49 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:No that is a terrible idea. "Trumped up bullshit" is not how you should describe anything in your application, especially crimes you've been charged with.
Yeah I don't intend to put it that way, if I put it in there at all, but for the purposes of this forum post I'm just telling it like it is.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:51 am

Describing it like that serves no purpose and more likely indicates that you lack maturity enough to accurately relate this in a personal statement.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:52 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:No that is a terrible idea. "Trumped up bullshit" is not how you should describe anything in your application, especially crimes you've been charged with.
Sorry for the confusion, that post isn't an excerpt out of a personal statement or anything, the heart of the question is, should I mention that the reason why I want to be a lawyer is that I beat some charges I was innocent of, and I want to pay that forward by contributing to the criminal justice system in a positive way?

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:55 am

daryldixon wrote:
bdogbb wrote:So the entire reason I'm interested in Law now is that I was charged with some trumped up bullshit that I was totally innocent of (I don't want to get into any details but it involved other people's drugs), but we took it to trial and won. The American justice system actually worked for me, and I want to be able to pay that forward as an attorney in criminal law. Is this sort of thing a good idea to talk about in a personal statement, or a horrible idea?
Well it will save you an addendum because you will definitely need to disclose it to most schools.
I was under the impression I don't have to disclose it if I don't want to, because I was found not guilty.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:56 am

bdogbb wrote:
daryldixon wrote:
I was under the impression I don't have to disclose it if I don't want to, because I was found not guilty.
Wrong.

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:01 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
bdogbb wrote:
daryldixon wrote:
Wrong.
The application I'm looking at asks only if I was ever arrested, convicted of anything, or if a charge was dismissed or expunged. None of those apply to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 am

You were charged with a crime but you weren't arrested? Still disclose.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:08 am

bdogbb wrote:The application I'm looking at asks only if I was ever arrested, convicted of anything, or if a charge was dismissed or expunged. None of those apply to me.
You were definitely "arrested" if you were ever booked. Even if you just went in voluntarily and were released immediately. Technically that is being "arrested." That is SOP for any criminal charges.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:12 am

I hope you're a good dude who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and now seeking to pursue law. And not a criminal who got away with some shit and now seeking to pursue law.

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 am

daryldixon wrote:
bdogbb wrote:The application I'm looking at asks only if I was ever arrested, convicted of anything, or if a charge was dismissed or expunged. None of those apply to me.
You were definitely "arrested" if you were ever booked. Even if you just went in voluntarily and were released immediately. Technically that is being "arrested." That is SOP for any criminal charges.
Yeah I did go into the station with my lawyer, and I did sign a few documents, so you're right. Do you think it would be better to tie this into the "why I want to be a lawyer" part of the personal statement, or just keep it in the addendum section?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:19 am

IgosduIkana wrote:I hope you're a good dude who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and now seeking to pursue law. And not a criminal who got away with some shit and now seeking to pursue law.
Close, I had the wrong people at my place at the wrong time. That's about as much as I'll get into it.

inlovewithpiper

Bronze

Post by inlovewithpiper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 am

bdogbb wrote:

The application I'm looking at asks only if I was ever arrested, convicted of anything, or if a charge was dismissed or expunged. None of those apply to me.
Forgive me if this is just my mis-informed, 0L thinking here, but isn't being found not-guilty tantamount to having charges dismissed?

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:23 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:You were charged with a crime but you weren't arrested? Still disclose.
Actually I take that back, I was booked when I went into the station with my lawyer.

So do you think it would be a better idea to tie this into the "Why I want to be a Lawyer" section of application, or just leave it in the addendum?

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 am

inlovewithpiper wrote:
bdogbb wrote:

Forgive me if this is just my mis-informed, 0L thinking here, but isn't being found not-guilty tantamount to having charges dismissed?
I'm guessing that a dismissal is something that only happens before or during the trial, not upon it's completion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:35 am

bdogbb wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:You were charged with a crime but you weren't arrested? Still disclose.
Actually I take that back, I was booked when I went into the station with my lawyer.

So do you think it would be a better idea to tie this into the "Why I want to be a Lawyer" section of application, or just leave it in the addendum?
I would probably write about something you've done or accomplished that you're proud of. There will be plenty of room in the addendums for the rest of this stuff.

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:53 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
bdogbb wrote:

I would probably write about something you've done or accomplished that you're proud of. There will be plenty of room in the addendums for the rest of this stuff.
I'm pretty proud of winning that case.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:15 am

bdogbb wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
bdogbb wrote:

I'm pretty proud of winning that case.
Your lawyer did that. You were dumb enough to get caught.

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:34 am

Mal Reynolds wrote: You were dumb enough to get caught.
Chill out, bro.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:12 am

riverwater wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote: You were dumb enough to get caught.
Chill out, bro.

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:50 am

Your lawyer did that. You were dumb enough to get caught.[/quote]

I didn't want to say this, but you have a terrible demeanor, and I feel bad for the people that have to spend time with you.

You have no idea what happened during either the incident or the trial, you've made assumptions that anyone scoring over a 155 on the LSAT should know better than to make.

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:04 am

bdogbb wrote:
daryldixon wrote:
Yeah I did go into the station with my lawyer, and I did sign a few documents, so you're right. Do you think it would be better to tie this into the "why I want to be a lawyer" part of the personal statement, or just keep it in the addendum section?
i don't think this would be the best use of your personal statement, unless you can spin the incident into a really outstanding essay that represents your best qualities (which i'm having difficulty imagining). write a concise, mature addendum and save something worth devoting two pages to for your ps.

bdogbb

New

Post by bdogbb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 am

runthetrap wrote:
bdogbb wrote:
daryldixon wrote:
i don't think this would be the best use of your personal statement, unless you can spin the incident into a really outstanding essay that represents your best qualities (which i'm having difficulty imagining). write a concise, mature addendum and save something worth devoting two pages to for your ps.
Thanks for the input, I'm leaning towards not including it in the PS, seems to be a small consensus about that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”