Should I write an addendum for this?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Should I write an addendum for this?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:08 pm

My entire application was just about ready to go, and then I was looking at the directions for personal statement submissions and I realized that it contradicts what the admissions office has told me. On several occasions I have contacted the office to make sure that the length of my statement was okay (it is two pages single spaced.) And every time they confirmed that it would be acceptable. However, the directions specifically state two pages double-spaced, and I just saw it. Yes, I realize that I should have checked it out before, but I didn't think it would be necessary because of what the admissions office says. My question is: I plan on calling the office on Monday and asking one final time, if they say that two pages single-spaced is acceptable, would it be okay to write a short addendum stating that I talked to (name of person) on (date and time) and they conveyed to me that it is acceptable to have a two page single-spaced personal statement?

I have had it read and reviewed by several people, each of which have said it is great and they would not change a thing. If I can avoid taking anything out I would like to, as the statement details an event that spanned almost a year and a half and it has a lot of information to it (all of which is relevant.)

Thank you for any input, if possible I really need a solid answer asap.

rpupkin

Re: Should I write an addendum for this?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Follow the damn directions. The person you spoke with on the phone probably plays no role in reviewing your file. If you stick with an addendum that is basically twice as long as the allowable length, you run the risk of annoying an adcomm--who will believe (quite reasonably) that you can't follow simple written instructions.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”