Penn Law Personal statement/supplemental statement length

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
retaking23

Penn Law Personal statement/supplemental statement length

Postby retaking23 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi everyone. I've noticed that a lot of schools have given maximum length cutoffs for personal statement length. Penn is my top choice and my LSAT is slightly below its median. I have a personal statement which I have grown really fond of and don't really want to curtail any parts of it. The problem is that it is a lot longer than Penn's 2 double spaced pages requirement (it is a little over 3 pages).

For those who have applied to or are applying to Penn, can you inform me if this length is strictly required. I've tried calling their office but I'm not receiving any answer (blasted storm).

lawschoolprospect123

Re: Penn Law Personal statement/supplemental statement length

Postby lawschoolprospect123 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:07 am

hello! What did you end up doing in this case? I am in the same situation with a Penn optional statement. It is 1.5 pages instead of 1 (11 pt font). Do you recommend cutting it down?

WordPass

Postby WordPass » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:56 am

Curious about what you ended up doing as well! Especially if you did contact them about it.

bretby

Postby bretby » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:38 pm

I thought I would have trouble cutting my 3 page statement down to 2 pages. Then I read a thread somewhere on here to the effect of the overwhelming majority of texts can be cut without losing - and indeed often gaining - substance, style and clarity. I cut mine down to two pages and showed it to my "committee" of proofreaders who have been there from draft one, and to a person they said it was the best draft to date. So, worked for me.

coffeebeans24

Postby coffeebeans24 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:15 am

I am not applying to penn, however there is always some wiggle room. I have heard that it is in your best interest to abide by the word limit. There must be some way to cut it down, even though you think it is good as is. I suggest posting it on here and having people take a look at it.

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:09 pm

i'd suggest sticking to the word count. you're an aspiring lawyer after all

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”