opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Hoping4Happiness

New

opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:31 am

Hey guys.

Just wanted to know your opinion on the PS being a 'story' vs more focused on showing what you've done in your life and how that affects you wanting to be a good lawyer/ how you will be a good addition to the school/what type of law you want to go into etc.

I don't know if l have phrased that well enough, but my issue is that one full page (and a couple lines on the second page) of my PS is a story about a moment that affected me and drew me to the area of law I want to practice... and l feel like to fully describe that situation, l can't make it less than a page...

But I'm worried that is too much and it might be better for me to focus my allotted space on showing why I would be a good lawyer/ good fit for school/ or what that school is a good fit for me...
I'm kind of torn.

What are your thoughts?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Re: opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 am

Hoping4Happiness wrote:Hey guys.

Just wanted to know your opinion on the PS being a 'story' vs more focused on showing what you've done in your life and how that affects you wanting to be a good lawyer/ how you will be a good addition to the school/what type of law you want to go into etc.

I don't know if l have phrased that well enough, but my issue is that one full page (and a couple lines on the second page) of my PS is a story about a moment that affected me and drew me to the area of law I want to practice... and l feel like to fully describe that situation, l can't make it less than a page...

But I'm worried that is too much and it might be better for me to focus my allotted space on showing why I would be a good lawyer/ good fit for school/ or what that school is a good fit for me...
I'm kind of torn.

What are your thoughts?

A story could work as long as it is uber-memorable/unique and uses some details/description and vivid imagery. Also make sure the key takeaway is explicit (the "why law" piece)... the reader must be sure to receive their bang for the buck.

wbaseball4ever

New

Re: opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

Postby wbaseball4ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:47 pm

I found this site really helpful for this question: http://william15.hubpages.com/hub/Tips-for-Writing-a-Personal-Statement

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�