opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Hoping4Happiness

opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:31 am

Hey guys.

Just wanted to know your opinion on the PS being a 'story' vs more focused on showing what you've done in your life and how that affects you wanting to be a good lawyer/ how you will be a good addition to the school/what type of law you want to go into etc.

I don't know if l have phrased that well enough, but my issue is that one full page (and a couple lines on the second page) of my PS is a story about a moment that affected me and drew me to the area of law I want to practice... and l feel like to fully describe that situation, l can't make it less than a page...

But I'm worried that is too much and it might be better for me to focus my allotted space on showing why I would be a good lawyer/ good fit for school/ or what that school is a good fit for me...
I'm kind of torn.

What are your thoughts?

BlakcMajikc

Re: opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 am

Hoping4Happiness wrote:Hey guys.

Just wanted to know your opinion on the PS being a 'story' vs more focused on showing what you've done in your life and how that affects you wanting to be a good lawyer/ how you will be a good addition to the school/what type of law you want to go into etc.

I don't know if l have phrased that well enough, but my issue is that one full page (and a couple lines on the second page) of my PS is a story about a moment that affected me and drew me to the area of law I want to practice... and l feel like to fully describe that situation, l can't make it less than a page...

But I'm worried that is too much and it might be better for me to focus my allotted space on showing why I would be a good lawyer/ good fit for school/ or what that school is a good fit for me...
I'm kind of torn.

What are your thoughts?

A story could work as long as it is uber-memorable/unique and uses some details/description and vivid imagery. Also make sure the key takeaway is explicit (the "why law" piece)... the reader must be sure to receive their bang for the buck.

wbaseball4ever

Re: opinion on 'story' vs why you want to be a lawyer

Postby wbaseball4ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:47 pm

I found this site really helpful for this question: http://william15.hubpages.com/hub/Tips-for-Writing-a-Personal-Statement

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”