Final Draft - Thank you the advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Final Draft - Thank you the advice

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Thank you in advance.

I am a 3110. It signifies that I am an “Interim Contract Teacher.” Essentially, a 3110 has the same salary, benefits, standards, and rights as any public school teacher in __________ County, but no tenure. Following a hiring freeze in 2008, 3110 was the status given to those of us that applied to become educators. Prior to the freeze, once hired, a teacher could be guaranteed a position every year. When the bell strikes 2:20pm on the last day of school, I no longer hold a job – my contract ends. With bated breath, I wait until August for any indication my contract will be renewed, which could only occur after every tenured teacher in the county (transferred, surplused, or otherwise) attains a position. It prompted a few nerve-wrecking summers, but the policies, and the subsequent events it prompted served as an unlikely motivator.

During my second year as an English and Film teacher, I met Mr. Peres, a full-time P.E. teacher that was initially transferred out the year prior. Administration would later tell me they felt he did a poor job, and decided transferring him out would be faster than the years of bureaucracy and paperwork associated with attempting to fire a tenured teacher. He was eventually bounced back to our school, but his previous position as a P.E. teacher was already filled. Peres was given my Film classes and we ended up sharing a classroom. While I didn't agree with his approach to teaching (turn movie on, sleep, wake up, students receive A’s), we reluctantly became friends, sharing an interest in Cross Country and Water Polo. As the school year came to a close, my principal informed me that she would be unable to renew my contract. With no new English teachers being hired, I wondered how she knew that she would lose a position so early in the process. It seemed that in order to teach Film, one has to attain a certificate in that particular field and Film is folded into the English certificate. Peres would assume my position next year due to his status as a tenured teacher. I passed on my lessons to Peres to help with his transition, and my former principal graciously assisted me in securing a position at the school I currently reside at.

Over the years, I met numerous young teachers in comparable situations; some walked away from education and others decided to enlist with private schools, several feeling betrayed and bitter. In my case, it felt like a mutual break-up. The sobering walk down the hall with boxes of paraphernalia, awkward moments when I bumped into former colleagues at Starbucks. The timeline of events that led to my non-renewal resembled the complex schemings of a Rube Goldberg machine which neither my principal, department head, nor I had any affect on, but knew had to run its course. A summer of deep reflection followed, in which I pondered where I was heading, both professionally and academically. As a teacher, I am often asked if I’d teach for the rest of my life, and I could never answer “yes” with conviction. It’s not for lack of a stable post, hard economic times and fickle employment are rampant in almost every occupation since I graduated. My current vocation lacks the mental stimulation, academic progression, and occupational challenges I crave. However, it was the aforementioned situation that led to my epiphany. I was not content with my situation, and furthermore, I was not content with the situation.

My circumstances erupted from a flawed interplay of rules, regulations, policies, and standards, which, in my current station, I cannot mend. My focus shifted away from education during that summer and toward my situation in its totality. I stepped outside of my contextual boundaries and my perspective was indelibly altered toward a loftier goal. I did not want to solve my problem; I want to solve the problem.

I considered my friends who had bouts with immigration while trying to apply to college, wedged in a position where they were too old to be claimed by their parents, but too young to file independently for citizenship. I reflected on my own family’s healthcare dilemmas which seemed, at times, at odds with the health of the very people it governed. Yet, these quagmires of bureaucracy are not inclusive to governmental affairs. In college, I’d faced a similar predicament while attempting to ratify a complication with my grades. And it was here, with three years of teaching under my belt that these situations weighed on me heavily and imparted me with a clear objective. I seek to pool all of my efforts toward helping those in a marginalized position. As a lawyer, I will affect change by assisting those in need directly and by contributing to policies aimed at narrowing the gap that incites alienation.

This essay marks the culmination of my career in education. Although I have a passion for teaching, it is evident to me that my true calling is in law. I aspire to enter a field of study that aligns my interests, aptitudes, and work experiences with a profession I find intriguing, challenging, and fulfilling. Starting 2014, the policies in my school district will change so that teacher tenure is eradicated and all teachers will be evaluated on a yearly basis. It seems my problem has been solved. Yet, I remain unwavering and steadfastly resolved toward a career in law. In fact, this recent overhaul serves as an example of that which I wish to accomplish; I look forward to a career where I can facilitate similar policies and advocate for my community.

NavyOfficer23

Re: Final Draft - Thank you the advice

Postby NavyOfficer23 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:06 am

1. Essay has overall negative impression. Not sure if that's what you're going for, but that's the impression it gives.
2. Flows very nicely, but very long and verbose. Lawyers like clear and concise writing.
3. I would not recommend speaking negatively of other teachers. Makes you look unprofessional.

Anonymous User

Re: Final Draft - Thank you the advice

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:02 pm

NavyOfficer23 wrote:1. Essay has overall negative impression. Not sure if that's what you're going for, but that's the impression it gives.
2. Flows very nicely, but very long and verbose. Lawyers like clear and concise writing.
3. I would not recommend speaking negatively of other teachers. Makes you look unprofessional.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't paint him in a bad light. I'll clear up the superfluous words and tighten it up. Thanks for the solid insight.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”